Premed 101 Forums

Fourth Year Course Selection

Opinions on the following courses?

- Physiology 4100B (Metabolism and Digestion)

- Physiology 4200B (Respiratory)

- Physiology 4420A (Physiology of Exercise)

- Physiology 4600A (Diseases of Ion Channels and Nervous System)

- Physiology 4610B (Cardiovascular)

- Physiology 4460B (Body Water and Renal)

- Pharmacology 4320A (Cardiovascular)

- Pharmacology 4350A (Clinical)

- Pharmacology 4430B (Natural-Sourced Medicines)

- Pharmacology 4660A (Human Toxicology)

- Microbiology and Immunology 2500A/B

- Health Care Law 3101B

- Pathology 3420A

I am aware there are other threads with comments regarding some of these courses, just looking for a more recent opinion. However, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Micro 2500 90+ acheivable personally (class average was 76).

Two 25% midterms and 50 % cumulative final. The exams are 2/3 single answer MC and 1/3 multiple multiple

overall the midterms you only have about 40 minutes to write since they are in class (final was 2.5 hours and 110 quesitons). THe single answer questions are really really easy but getting 95+ on anything but the final exam is very very hard since there are a couple of differentiating quesitons on a 35 question midterm.

Everything you need to know is lecture based so record etc. My only complaint was that there were no past exams although they were not needed to do well per say.

4 profs

Summers: Immunology, easy, very understanding based but simple application, justt draw out processes when you study

McCormick: Meh, bacteriology isnt that intersting to me and unlike the first two his lectures dont integrate well since each is a different pathogen.

Dikeakos: Virology, very easy, know the main examples of viruses inside and out and the major experiments and you will get 95+ guarunteed

Colby: Parasitology/Mycology, really funny guy, loads of details on his slides and lecture but test questions are the simplest of the four (get the cheat sheet floating around it summarizes everything you need to know from 400 slides he does in 4 lectures on two pages)

Overall would take again

Phys 4100 - Super boring material, professors aren't too enthusiastic but it's a pretty alright course with not a lot of material since the lectures were once a week. There were periodic quizzes/assignments so your marks are kinda spread out. You can also drop your worst quiz mark so that's nice. I think the exam format is mixed but can't remember for sure. Definitely possible to do well.

Phys 4420 -  Great prof if Shoemaker still teaches it, interesting topics, slightly complicated/heavy material. This course is also offered through the kin department so you'll have students in your class better versed in the subject so it might be difficult keeping up. There are a lot of assigned paper readings and a few written essays/assignments. The exams are mainly written and are fair. Overall, I wouldn't say it's an easy course but it's worth taking if you are interested in this particular topic and want a great prof.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details!

Out of your list I have only taken these 2:

Physiology 4200B (Respiratory) <-- This is almost a brand new course. I took it the first year they offered it (last year), so I bet things have changed. The profs are pretty good and laid back. The material is interesting if you like resp. It's not too hard to get a 85+ 

Health Care Law 3101B <-- Fantastic course if Prof. Solomon is still teaching it. He was talking about retiring last year. Highly recommended. If you read the materials 90+ is not too hard to get (if Solomon is still in charge)

Other 4th year phys courses I took that I recommend:

Phys of senses 4710A <-- material is enjoyable and the tests are very fair

Stem cell 4520A/B? <-- This is usually offered as a 2nd sem course, I'm not sure why the physio website lists it as A, things might have changed. The material is very interesting IMO. If you study hard enough you can get a 85+, getting 90+ is a bit harder in this course, but the profs are great and the content is good

Reviews from classmates:

Phys metabolism <-- not too hard, but pretty boring

Phys cardio <-- not an easy course

Do you guys happen to know any 90+able essay courses

thanks

Medical Biophysics 3503G ... very interesting small class with very high average (low to mid 80's). 2 non-cumulative midterms, cumulative final. Course is 40% (10% x 4 assignments). It's basically a medical imaging course (very simple handful of equations). Despite being an essay course, you do very little writing. Would suggest looking into it if you have the pre-reqs. 

Medical Biophysics 3503G ... very interesting small class with very high average (low to mid 80's). 2 non-cumulative midterms, cumulative final. Course is 40% (10% x 4 assignments). It's basically a medical imaging course (very simple handful of equations). Despite being an essay course, you do very little writing. Would suggest looking into it if you have the pre-reqs. 

Thanks for the response, I was already looking into taking this course and I definitely think I will now, do you know if 3501f is a good course to take as well?

Thanks for the response, I was already looking into taking this course and I definitely think I will now, do you know if 3501f is a good course to take as well?

I heard it's equally as, if not more, interesting but a little harder to do well in. However if you have your sights on med I'm sure you'll have no problems. Check out this previous thread about these classes, believe somebody talks about averages: http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/78614-medbio-3501f3503g-averages/

Archived