Premed 101 Forums

Schools With Most Chances With My Profile?

Hey Everyone!

I've applied to Canadian Schools twice and American Medical Schools once and have never gotten any interviews. With my GPA and MCAT I think I am going to apply to apply to the Carribean if I dont get any interviews this cycle, but I wanted to maximize my chances, but am unsure of what schools would be the best suit for my stats.

cGPA = sGPA = 3.91

MCAT: 

1) 24 (10PS/6VR/8BS)

2) 28 (11PS/6VR/11BS)

3) 28 (11PS/8VR/9BS)

4) Awaiting marks, but I suspect around (125 PS/124CARS/124 BS/ 123 PSY)

ECs: Long term hospital volunteering, volunteering with for homeless people, overseas medical volunteer trip, student council, started own drama club, VP of a few clubs, founded a volunteer organization, 3 years of research, 2 pubs, 1 poster conference, TA of some courses, a bunch of awards

One caveat to applying is that I have all of the necessary courses except Biochemistry. 

Which American Schools do you think I should focus my application on?

I'm a Canadian Citizen btw.

Thanks!

Too bad about your poor MCAT scores.

I would try USDO schools, but hope you're 4th MCAT goes up much more than a 28. The trend in your scores and plateau at 28, may still get you an interview at few schools if the rest of your app is solid (GPA is, ECs look fine). 

GPA is strong, but can you elaborate on the year by year, and credit weightings?

A 3.9 but over only part-time years is very different than full-time years while working etc. Would help give a better picture.

"125 PS/124CARS/124 BS/ 123 PSY"

Why do you suspect such low scores, do you feel you did worse than on the exam sittings where you got 28? That predicted score would add up to 496, which is below the 50th percentile(500). 

Even a 28 on the old mcat was 60-68 percentile-ish, depending on the year.

"125 PS/124CARS/124 BS/ 123 PSY"

Why do you suspect such low scores, do you feel you did worse than on the exam sittings where you got 28? That predicted score would add up to 496, which is below the 50th percentile(500). 

Even a 28 on the old mcat was 60-68 percentile-ish, depending on the year.

Yeah I was going to ask the same thing... either that's extremely pessimistic or something went wrong.

Even the lowest score doesn't go below average... so that's pretty concerning.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I was going to ask the same thing... either that's extremely pessimistic or something went wrong.

Even the lowest score doesn't go below average... so that's pretty concerning.

Well I got my percentiles back and they don't seem to be that different than my past MCAT attempts. I will know for sure this Tuesday when I get the actual scores.

Chem/Phys: 74-89%

CARS: 65-80%

Bio: 82-97%

Psyche: 70-85%

Total: 74-84%

In any case, I'm not trying to come off as pessimistic, but when I called the American Med schools (Wayne State and MSU) last year after a rejection with a 3.91 cGPA and a 28 MCAT, they said that if I wanted to have a shot I needed well above the 80th percentile on my next MCAT attempt. 

Too bad about your poor MCAT scores.

I would try USDO schools, but hope you're 4th MCAT goes up much more than a 28. The trend in your scores and plateau at 28, may still get you an interview at few schools if the rest of your app is solid (GPA is, ECs look fine). 

GPA is strong, but can you elaborate on the year by year, and credit weightings?

A 3.9 but over only part-time years is very different than full-time years while working etc. Would help give a better picture.

I took 5 courses every semester (full load) and 6 courses in my last semester for fun and every year my GPA was relativley the same, I really didn't have any particularly good or bad years over my 4 year undergrad. 

Year 1: 3.9

Year 2: 3.94

Year 3: 3.87

Year 4: 3.94

Which schools do you think I should apply to given my GPA and recent MCAT prelim scores (previous post)?

I took 5 courses every semester (full load) and 6 courses in my last semester for fun and every year my GPA was relativley the same, I really didn't have any particularly good or bad years over my 4 year undergrad. 

Year 1: 3.9

Year 2: 3.94

Year 3: 3.87

Year 4: 3.94

Which schools do you think I should apply to given my GPA and recent MCAT prelim scores (previous post)?

Get your primary submitted right now with ~10 of the schools recommended to others in similar threads posted here. With rolling invites time is a factor, and you're definitely on the late side right now which will make it harder. After doing some more research you can still add schools after the primary is submitted if you find ones that are Canadian-friendly and easier on MCAT scores. I don't know much about the new MCAT but from your percentile that would still be over a 30 for the old one right? I'm fairly certain that's high enough to warrant applying, and if you do you want to apply to at least 15 schools.

edit: I guess you could go to SDN for a fast response on whether it would be worth applying at all with that MCAT score. Although you should be in a rush to submit, it -is- really expensive, so if most people say that it's not competitive for a Canadian student then maybe you could reconsider applying, your GPA is competitive in Canada after all.

I would only apply to USDO schools, they may be more forgiving. Unless of course your actual mcat scores for the new one come back decently. The range is hard to decipher. You said you applied once already to us schools, and we're rejected. Was that a proper application, nice and early?

Also don't forget ECs matter as well,keep working on them.

Archived