Premed 101 Forums

Essay Questions For 2016 Cycle Out Now!

Hey guys just saw that they released the new essay questions this year. Good luck :)

Question 1: Define what altruism means to you in the context of medicine.

Question 2: Describe a lesson you learned while collaborating in a paid or unpaid work environment.

Question 3: “Man is by nature a political animal.” – Aristotle.

Discuss what this quote means to you in regard to advocacy by physicians.

Question 4: Describe a time during your academic career when a specific topic interested you so much that you continued your learning beyond the classroom. How did you do this?

Hi- it's my first time applying to UofT so forgive me. Can someone clarify that the essay questions correlate with the four value clusters in the order given?

i.e You're supposed to incorporate value #1 (professional cluster) into question 1

value #2 with question 2

value #3 with question 3

value #4 with question 4

in that order? 

Thank you

You can also highlight more than one cluster per question. 

Interesting questions, indeed! I like the first one a lot. And they seem more challenging to me than last year's questions. 

Best of luck to the new candidates! With these essays, I found it useful to start early, which gives you more time to go through multiple edits and have your answers read by different people (protip: ask somebody from your school's science career centre and/or a prof to provide you with feedback). 

With this, I have to agree. Another level of lottery to admission...

Although yeah it is a bit up to luck as to how a reviewer rates your application. It's also important to note that 6 people individually rate your application and scores are tried to be standardized across. They are trying their best to have some consistency in the process. But with everything it's not a perfect system. And it's impossible for them to make it perfectly fair.

Although yeah it is a bit up to luck as to how a reviewer rates your application. It's also important to note that 6 people individually rate your application and scores are tried to be standardized across. They are trying their best to have some consistency in the process. But with everything it's not a perfect system. And it's impossible for them to make it perfectly fair.

Just represent yourself well, address the question, write clearly and concisely, don't make stupid spelling or grammatical mistakes, and you will be just fine. Yes there is always an element of subjectivity but most people can detect bs and differentiate a good response from a poor one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived