Premed 101 Forums

Getting Into Med School?

Hey everyone! Just wondering.. I seen something online about having to have a average of 98 to get into med school at McMaster? I mean I am doing well.. my GPA is around 3.7-3.8. Would I be able to get into McMaster? I am completing a 3 year degree through Queens which is a Bachelor of Science degree. I am just wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on ways to get into McMaster? What attracts me to it is the fact that McMaster is a 3 year program, so I will only have to be in school for 6 years compared to 8.

98?!?

Out of all the med schools in Ontario, Mac is probably the most transparent in their admission process. Mac also tends to be the most GPA-forgiving school. It would be best to consult Mac's website if you're looking for information regarding admission. You would see that:

The formula to determine your pre-interview score is:

32% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 32% MCAT Verbal Reasoning OR Critical Analysis and Reasoning Score, 32% CASPer Score and up to 4% Graduate degree bonus (1% Master's/4% PhD)

The formula to determine your post-interview score is:

70% Multiple Mini Interview Score, 15% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 15% MCAT Verbal Reasoning OR Critical Analysis and Reasoning Score

So while GPA is taken into account, and the higher your GPA the better your chances will be, it's not as significant relative to other schools.

Hey everyone! Just wondering.. I seen something online about having to have a average of 98 to get into med school at McMaster? I mean I am doing well.. my GPA is around 3.7-3.8. Would I be able to get into McMaster? I am completing a 3 year degree through Queens which is a Bachelor of Science degree. I am just wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on ways to get into McMaster? What attracts me to it is the fact that McMaster is a 3 year program, so I will only have to be in school for 6 years compared to 8.

Go look in the Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted thread. Plenty of people have gotten in with grades in that range. The biggest barrier for most people is the Verbal Reasoning section of the MCAT (Or whatever it's called now).

So in a way, Mac is easier to get into when it comes to GPA?

Sort of. It's easier to compensate for a lower GPA via Casper and VR/CARS and Mac has the lowest stated minimums (3.0 - but you pretty much can't get in with the minimum.)

Casper is an online test Mac uses as part of its admission process. Your score on casper will be used as a component of your pre-interview score (along with your gpa and cars component of the mcat).

Have you looked at macmed's admissions website and the OMSAS guide? Those resources, along with searching this forum, should answer most of your initial questions and give you some foundational knowledge about the medical school application process.

Mac also tends to be the most GPA-forgiving school

Isn't Mac one of the very few schools that do not have an adjusted/weighted GPA? McMaster looks at your cumulative GPA from all years of study. This probably makes it seem that Mac's average admitted GPA is lower than other schools.

Mac is really formula based what they say is what you get. If you can aim for the average accepted which is 3.83 and 11 VR and you can do well on CASPer you are pretty much good to go.

For what it's worth, my OMSAS GPA was 3.60 (VR 11) and I was able to get in this year. CASPer/Interview are huge it would seem.

To second this ^^, my OMSAS GPA was 3.74 (VR 9) and I got interviewed and accepted to mac. Don't underestimate the power of CASPer or your ability to overcome most other aspects of your application.

^ Don't type fast for the sake of typing fast - if you talk too much dribble it'll be evident. Just write what you need to, if you have a flood of insightful thoughts then yes supersonic typing speed will help you put them on paper, but you don't need as much time as you think.

Agreed. I may be old now, but when I did Casper, I didn't actually write very much. My few sentences, however, had lots of content/experience.

Archived