Premed 101 Forums

Abstract Publications For 2016-2017 Application

Not sure if others have noticed, but abstracts are no longer being considered as apart of the research publications tab for this years application. 

I was pretty upset by this decision as I have a few significant abstract publications at international conferences that were the result of a lot of hard work and something to show for for my years of research experience. The only other relevant outcome was a presentation at a local conference/research week type deal. Journal publications are pending and a work in progress - largely due to political issues (authors, funding). 

Would it be beneficial/how would you try and work this into the rest of the application? I understand abstracts it's academic by nature, but could it somehow be added into the non-academic activities portion of the application?

According to the help guide, in the research publication section, can you not select the "presentations" option for your abstracts?  

Or is there a discrepancy between the 2015-2016 help guide and the actual application?  (I haven't actually paid my fee to access the online application) 

• 1 month later...

So abstracts are not considered anymore?

I don't have any posters, orals or publications. I will have to leave that section blank?? :(

I do not quite understand. You submitted your abstract to a conference and it was accepted right? So you must have given either an oral presentation or a poster presentation at the conference.

So is your abstract accepted but not yet presented at a conference?

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I have the exact same question. I have a few abstracts which I authored or coauthored (2nd author) and that were either accepted for publication or published before the June 1st deadline. Research posters were created based on these abstracts and were presented after June 1. Am I allowed to include this on my application?

Same here. I have several posters that I've been first or second author on but was not able to make it to the conference to present it. I can't include them in the research publications section even though I made these posters myself so I will be mentioning them in my NAQ section. Kind of sucks :/

Phosphorus: I think they have to have been presented before June 1st as I think that was the emphasis in their instructions (i.e. do not put posters or abstracts you did not present). But I think the situation is ambiguous if you will be presenting it - could send an email to adcom to see if it can still be included.

Phosphorus, do you mean that if the poster/oral presentation was presented but not yet published in a peer-reviewed journal, it's a moot point to enter in the 'Research Publications' section? 

for what it's worth.. correct me if I'm wrong but many conferences associated with journals DO publish presented abstracts in a physical volume. In essence, abstracts are publications. 

I would include it (if you presented it) and have them be the judge of whether or not it's relevant. 

Phosphorus, do you mean that if the poster/oral presentation was presented but not yet published in a peer-reviewed journal, it's a moot point to enter in the 'Research Publications' section? 

for what it's worth.. correct me if I'm wrong but many conferences associated with journals DO publish presented abstracts in a physical volume. In essence, abstracts are publications. 

I would include it (if you presented it) and have them be the judge of whether or not it's relevant. 

No he means that if you presented it you can put it in. If you only have an abstract without actually presenting it you don't put it in. So don't put it in if you didn't present it. How difficult is this to understand?

Abstracts are published by conferences all the time. Doesn't mean that UBC considers them to be a substantial publication. In fact, academia in general doesn't consider it a publication at all. No one will put it in their publication list when applying for academic jobs; they'll have it in their presentation section if they presented it.

Archived