Premed 101 Forums

Neurology And Neuroscience Research

I am just wondering if anybody has any perspectives on the extent to which neurologists can/do engage in neuroscience-type research. I have always been intrigued by questions of memory, learning, and I have an interest in neuroimaging, that is not necessarily clinical. To what extent to neurologists do this nonclinical kind of research?

If I have a interest in nonclinical neuro research, would I be able to pursue this kind of research as a neurologist, or is this something generally left to the hardcore neuroscience psych PhDs, leaving exclusively clinical work for neurologists?

Thanks for any perspectives!

I am just wondering if anybody has any perspectives on the extent to which neurologists can/do engage in neuroscience-type research. I have always been intrigued by questions of memory, learning, and I have an interest in neuroimaging, that is not necessarily clinical. To what extent to neurologists do this nonclinical kind of research?

If I have a interest in nonclinical neuro research, would I be able to pursue this kind of research as a neurologist, or is this something generally left to the hardcore neuroscience psych PhDs, leaving exclusively clinical work for neurologists?

Thanks for any perspectives!

I worked with a neurosurgeon that had a dedicated set of epileptic patients that he treated but also conducted fMRI based research on. The research was based on language, learning, and cognition. I don't think that being a neurosurgeon or neurologist is what will limit your ability to do research, it will ultimately be the hospital you work at (and what funding/facilities are available to you).

Archived