Premed 101 Forums

On Podcasts...

Oh man, you had to go ahead and mention podcasts!

-Quackcast: a really sarcastic ruthless take on SCAMs (supplements, complementary and alternative medicine)

-NEJM Interviews: The weekly digest is just too dryly narrated for me, but the interviews are good.

-EMCrit: pretty technical podcast about emergency critical care med, which is a particular interest of mine, but some episodes just have good life advice, and the narrator is lively.

-ERcast: similar to above, but broader than critical care

-Surgery 101: really accessible info about surgical procedures, from UofA

-CMAJ Podcasts: summarizes the Journal pretty well.

I also listen to WCBA.

-Stop Podcasting Yourself: my main comedy podcast

Otherwise, I listen to a lot of CBC stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

So I really appreciated these recommendations, thank you so much.

I've been listening to a lot of EMCrit and the NEJM review (maybe I'm just lucky but it's been particularly relevant to my research.)

I'm probably pushing my luck but I figure it's worth asking if anyone knows of discipline specific podcasts similar to EMCrit. I'm partial to psychiatry and medical genetics myself but I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Not sure if you are interested in any books on these topics, but you should check out Audible if you are. It's $14 a month and you get one credit each month, which buys you 1 book at any price. Audio books are expensive, so $14/book can be a great deal when a lot of popular books are twice that. I usually always go with non-fiction, and I really love it. In fact, I have been really blowing though my "Books to Read" list in the non-fiction category since I joined, it's nuts.

Also, slightly off-topic, but Librovox is awesome too. It's a free app for Android (and maybe others, I haven't looked), where volunteers read books that no longer have a copyright (because its expired). So this will mostly be fiction, but if you like listening to stuff, catching up on some classics for free is pretty fun, especially when you are stuck in traffic or commuting. 

I love podcasts! Can't say that I ever really had any interest in medical related ones though. I usually listen to gaming, true-crime and political podcasts. I like how easily accessible the format is, and they're great to listen to on the bus  :)

Really been enjoying "The Orbital Mechanics" - podcast about spaceflight, rockets, SpaceX, and such. It's pretty accessible since neither of the guys are rocket engineers :)

That sounds REALLY neat

• 9 months later...

Oh man, you had to go ahead and mention podcasts!

-Quackcast: a really sarcastic ruthless take on SCAMs (supplements, complementary and alternative medicine)

-NEJM Interviews: The weekly digest is just too dryly narrated for me, but the interviews are good.

-EMCrit: pretty technical podcast about emergency critical care med, which is a particular interest of mine, but some episodes just have good life advice, and the narrator is lively.

-ERcast: similar to above, but broader than critical care

-Surgery 101: really accessible info about surgical procedures, from UofA

-CMAJ Podcasts: summarizes the Journal pretty well.

I also listen to WCBA.

-Stop Podcasting Yourself: my main comedy podcast

Otherwise, I listen to a lot of CBC stuff.

What kinds of things do you listen to on CBC? 

• 2 weeks later...

They're all radio shows. The current, the news, Ontario today, and been getting into Unreserved lately!

What kinds of things do you listen to on CBC? 

I really enjoy "Quirks and Quarks" the science podcast. Maybe its my own research experience speaking here, but some people (including PhD students) are just so excited and happy they have a chance to talk about their research. Bob McDonald (the host) is really excellent too. He has a way of summarizing complex research results so that you go, ohhhh! I get it!

Of course "White Coat Black Art" is the medical podcast which is also quite popular. It doesn't seem to have regular episodes though, so you have to wait awhile until new ones come out.

I think that one of the greatest skills that a doctor can learn, besides communicating effectively, is empathy and compassion. So I tend to gorge on podcasts that deal with very personal Issues.

My favourite, the living room by love + radio/ radiolab. Anyone interested can listen to it: here

• 2 weeks later...

How do y'all listen to your podcasts?

I've been helping to create a podcast app over summer break (it's free!):

Here's the link if you'd want to try out the app with the podcasts that have been mentioned so far in this thread:

https://app.podkarma.com/share/tomopk    (medicine podcasts)

https://app.podkarma.com/share/glcpwt   (assorted others)

It works for Android or iOS.

I really enjoy "Quirks and Quarks" the science podcast. Maybe its my own research experience speaking here, but some people (including PhD students) are just so excited and happy they have a chance to talk about their research. Bob McDonald (the host) is really excellent too. He has a way of summarizing complex research results so that you go, ohhhh! I get it!

Of course "White Coat Black Art" is the medical podcast which is also quite popular. It doesn't seem to have regular episodes though, so you have to wait awhile until new ones come out.

Seconded! I definitely enjoy these, too -- also Unreserved :)

CBC Ideas has a section called Ideas from the Trenches that is also graduate students describing their research, but tends to be more humanities disciplines. Some of these are also really great.

For silliness, I do enjoy Adults Read Things They Wrote as Kids.

I'm looking forward to checking out some of programs everyone's been suggesting -- great thread idea!

• 2 years later...

Archived