Premed 101 Forums

3 Years Im And No Match?

Bumping this back. What are the job prospects like with the 4-year IM program vs. the 3+2 GIM program? Is the difference similar to EM (2+1 vs. 5 year)? I get that if I go this route I probably won't be working downtown Toronto, but how small of a city do you need to go to? 300,000k? 50,000k? 10,000k?

Cheers

In talking with residents doing the 4-year GIM, it seems like you can probably work anywhere including large cities (e.g. Toronto), which is why it seems many residents choose to default and do the 4 year program because they rather work in a community hospital. Most say "Academic" GIM jobs won't be as widely available, but outside of those centres you shouldn't have a problem.

If you're using Toronto as an example (and being a typical torontonian, they happen to be the sites I am most familiar with...) places like: North York General, Scarborough General/Grace, Markham Stouffville, Southlake, Humber River, St. Joe's, William Osler etc... These are all centers with large population (>50-100k).

This is however the state currently, could change 5 years down the line

Archived