Premed 101 Forums

Job Search

I recently graduated with a Bachelor of Science (biology) and have been desperately looking for a job because I have 30k+ of loans and need money to apply to US schools. I have probably applied for over a 100 jobs, but no good news. I don't know what I am doing wrong, my resume is good (according to my university's career services), I worked 2 different jobs during my undergrad (research/lab and admin support), i have a lot of volunteer experience, good grades, etc. I cannot apply for the student jobs anymore since I am not a student. I need money to continue completing US school secondary applications and Canadian applications are due soon as well. Please help!

Im in the exact same boat but almost done MSc (even with work experience during and after university) :(

I applied to jobs from my field of research to Wal Mart and Shoppers jobs but no luck so far :(

Just hang in there :) You are not alone. Things will work out sooner or later!

Thank you! Hope you find a job that will let you use your education and experience and pays you accordingly. It really sucks to have gone through 4 years of education and still finding a job that needs me to use that education. 

Im in the exact same boat but almost done MSc (even with work experience during and after university) :(

I applied to jobs from my field of research to Wal Mart and Shoppers jobs but no luck so far :(

Just hang in there :) You are not alone. Things will work out sooner or later!

If you want a job at a place like Walmart or Shoppers, the key is to go in person and speak with the manager. Dress presentably (business casual), bring a resume, smile, and be polite. Ask to speak to the manager, and tell them that your story, elevator speech style (e.g. "I just finished my degree and I am taking a gap year looking for full time work, I've done similar work doing X at Y.). 

You should be able to find a job within 2 weeks this way, really. You just gotta pound the pavement a bit.

As for the OP, I am sorry to say that the economy is crap right now. I am not sure what sort of jobs you have been applying to, but having an undergrad is not going to get you very far beyond a minimum wage position, unless you have some sort of special "in" or skills to sell them. Where have you sent your applications so far? There  are a few good positions on the government of Canada website. 

If you want a job at a place like Walmart or Shoppers, the key is to go in person and speak with the manager. Dress presentably (business casual), bring a resume, smile, and be polite. Ask to speak to the manager, and tell them that your story, elevator speech style (e.g. "I just finished my degree and I am taking a gap year looking for full time work, I've done similar work doing X at Y.). 

You should be able to find a job within 2 weeks this way, really. You just gotta pound the pavement a bit.

As for the OP, I am sorry to say that the economy is crap right now. I am not sure what sort of jobs you have been applying to, but having an undergrad is not going to get you very far beyond a minimum wage position, unless you have some sort of special "in" or skills to sell them. Where have you sent your applications so far? There  are a few good positions on the government of Canada website. 

I actually did that.... .

But all is good :)

Thanks

I worked for a company and one of my jobs was to go over resumes and interview potential candidates. We would receive 20-30 resumes per week so I have read over a thousand and they all fall into one of 3 categories.

1. Poorly done. These may have spelling or grammar mistakes, or just look untidy and unprofessional. About 5-10% of submitted resumes.

2. Not tailored to the job they were applying. You could tell these guys printed dozens of copies and gave them to every store in the district. About 70-80% of resumes

3. Well done, polished, appropriate. These typically have relevant job experience, and indicate how their skills well help them be successful in the position. About 10-15% of resumes

The first group is almost immediately sent to the recycle bin without being read. Except for occasional comic purposes.

When I read resumes from the second group I look at the "objective"  "attributes" "qualifications" or something alike, and if they are not relevant to the company I will throw them out without reading their education, work history, or anything else.

The third group gets carefully considered and if we are hiring or looking to expand will invite 5-8 per position. What distinguishes members within this group? Experience. (Not saying the more the better, but is situational).

tl;dr - If you want more responses tailor your resume for the job you're applying. Employers want to see you give a damn about what you'll be doing instead of just seeking income.

Update: I went crazy applying to over 200+ jobs last week, and finally got a well paying temporary position about something I am really passionate about and most of my ECs revolve around it. I applied to so many, so I still have 3 more interviews lined up for next week! Thank you for all the suggestions, I will continue my job search once this temporary position is over. :)

Update: I went crazy applying to over 200+ jobs last week, and finally got a well paying temporary position about something I am really passionate about and most of my ECs revolve around it. I applied to so many, so I still have 3 more interviews lined up for next week! Thank you for all the suggestions, I will continue my job search once this temporary position is over. :)

Congrats and best of luck! I am also currently scouring the job listing sites and slowly applying to many jobs related to my experience and interests. It's definitely time consuming.

• 9 months later...

I was searching about the problems job seekers face and came across this conversation. What's the status of @thehulk still in search of a job? What exactly do you think are the difficulties to get through the interviews? If you don't mind I think I can give few tips, but these might work. I know exactly how it feels when there is no success after tons of interviews. In most cases, it is our mistakes that we fail to notice. 

First make sure your resume is perfect for the job, every interview should have different resume, but the changes should depend on the firm you contact. Understand their requirement. 

Understand your resume very well. Interviewers asks questions mostly out of the resume you've presented before them. So be prepared with what you present. 

Let the company or the people in search of resources like you know that you are really interested. If you apply, query about the company and  collect the max details of the firm. During interview ask them question to understand the company. After the interview, even if there is no response from their side, make a call to understand the status. 

These are few small tips that can really help you be successful in the job search. Making executive recruiters notice you also is a big a factor. http://www.theexecutivewing.com/blog/interview-preparation/5-tips-to-get-you-noticed-by-executive-recruiters/

Archived