Premed 101 Forums

Visiting Medical Electives At U Of T

Hello. I was wondering how difficult it is to obtain a visiting elective at U of T? I recently applied through the AFMC Student Portal, but I wanted to know if I should apply for a backup elective (at another school) if things do not work out, but at the same time I do not want to be wasting money. I would appreciate some advice. Thanks!

Hello Rainmaker,

I am not sure that you could double book with the AFMC student portal. It is a centralized system and I think that they could see that you double-booked. Could someone confirm?

If you apply as early as possible (i.e: 9 months in advance), and your speciality of interest is not highly popular among UofT students. I think that you have a good chance. I have friends who did neurosurgery, cardiac surgery and internal medicine at UofT, they all booked 9 months in advance.

Good luck :)

Hello. I was wondering how difficult it is to obtain a visiting elective at U of T? I recently applied through the AFMC Student Portal, but I wanted to know if I should apply for a backup elective (at another school) if things do not work out, but at the same time I do not want to be wasting money. I would appreciate some advice. Thanks!

Thanks LittleDaisy and thatonekid for the prompt replies. I actually applied exactly 9 months in advance, right when the clock turned midnight 9 months before the elective. I applied to General Surgery (Breast) as my first choice and General Surgery (hepatobiliary oncology) as my second choice.

Actually, I am curious as well whether or not the AFMC Student Portal will recognize and prevent students from double booking. Does anybody know? It would be good if the portal prevented double booking to reduce the problem with booking visiting electives in Canada.

Hello, you could try to write an email to AFMC portal help desk personnel at  service@afmcstudentportal.ca

You could ask if the universities will see if you double-book (if that happens). Give it a try, I understand that booking electives outside our home schools imply a lot of uncertainties and waiting. As medical students, we all dislike that due to our type A personality. 

Make sure that if ever you double-book, it won't cause you any harm. I hope that you will get your general surgery electives  :) 

Thanks LittleDaisy and thatonekid for the prompt replies. I actually applied exactly 9 months in advance, right when the clock turned midnight 9 months before the elective. I applied to General Surgery (Breast) as my first choice and General Surgery (hepatobiliary oncology) as my second choice.

Actually, I am curious as well whether or not the AFMC Student Portal will recognize and prevent students from double booking. Does anybody know? It would be good if the portal prevented double booking to reduce the problem with booking visiting electives in Canada.

Okay that is great. I was agonized over this as well. 

Rainmaker, please let us know. I am interested in knowing the answer. I am interested in applying to UofT as well, and I was tempted to double book. Since I heard that it is a quite popular university for electives, but I was worried about the AFMC student portal due to its centralized canadian system. 

I have never used the portal, but I've heard from current clerks that they are able to double book.

not being able to double book would make for a lot of scrambling if things fall through, which often happens when trying to book electives. 

And with regards to your elective choices, breast is usually not that popular while hpb might be. I don't know many people who opted to do an elective just in breast surgery. it's an awesome rotation for practicing sutures, lots of gaping holes to close up. 

So according to the portal rep person at my school:

You can apply for multiple electives in the same time slot. However, you must accept (or decline and take your chances) who ever approves you first because you cannot be accepted to two electives at once.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you amichel :)

You can apply for multiple electives in the same time slot. However, you must accept (or decline and take your chances) who ever approves you first because you cannot be accepted to two electives at once.

Not entirley correct. You can apply to multiple electives but you cannot have more than one accepted at any given point. Basically you can accept one and if you are offered a second one it makes you drop the other one to accept the new one.

Not entirley correct. You can apply to multiple electives but you cannot have more than one accepted at any given point. Basically you can accept one and if you are offered a second one it makes you drop the other one to accept the new one.

That's what I meant. Thanks for clarifying.

So that means, if I applied to 2 electives. If the first elective accepts me, and for security reason, I accept the first offer first in order to secure my spot.

Subsequently, when my second elective accepts me, I could always refuse the first elective and accept the second offer (since the second elective is my first choice)?

I hope that my question makes sense :)

So that means, if I applied to 2 electives. If the first elective accepts me, and for security reason, I accept the first offer first in order to secure my spot.

Subsequently, when my second elective accepts me, I could always refuse the first elective and accept the second offer (since the second elective is my first choice)?

I hope that my question makes sense :)

Correct

• 4 weeks later...

Try to email them again  :)

Like the others have said, I guess that you could apply to more than 2 electives and only accept one :D for one period.

The AFMC portal is new this year, so give them so time to adapt. I hope that you will get your general surgery elective at UofT, you have applied the earliest as possible!

Sorry for not getting back to you guys earlier. I just wanted to let you know that I never heard back from the AFMC Student Portal help desk, but I like the discussion that has went on here :). Thanks!

Archived