Premed 101 Forums

So Stressed About Second Undergrad:\

I'm starting my second undergrad in a month and I am so excited but also just a giant ball of stress.

The idea of taking on more student debt, knowing I already have one is a lot of pressure:\ The idea of going to university for undergrad studies for 7 years if I don't get into med school seems ridiculous. There's only a handful of schools that will even consider me at this point even if I ace my second degree. One of my best friends is getting married and another is having her first baby soon and I'm going into my first year of uni again.

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

anyone else doing their second undergrad right now or starting in the fall? How are you coping with all the pressure?

anyone finish theirs and actually get into med school? is it worth it?

I hope sooooo

I did a masters, not a second degree. But if it helps, a part of me wishes I did a second degree. I think it can be VERY helpful, depending on the schools you're applying to/where you are IP. Now that you have committed to this degree, be positive :) It is a stepping stone toward reaching your goal, and believe that not getting into med school isn't even a possibility. You are more mature than when you did your first degree, so it is bound to be much better. Best of luck! 

Also… I learned that comparing myself to my peers is the worst thing to do. Everyone has their own unique path, and as long as you are committed to yours, you'll get what you want! 

Hi! I'm going into my 7th and final year of undergrad in September. I remember the feeling you are describing all too well (and still experience it frequently). In the same situation as you, except 2 years ahead, in terms of only having a shot at few schools--I pretty much messed up my whole first undergrad, so much so I will only have my file looked at by Queens, Western, and Ottawa if I meet the MCAT cut-offs. A few months before starting my second degree, I started having nightmares about forgetting to do assignments or being horribly unprepared for exams. Once I started my second degree, I was a mess for the first 2 months because I felt so intimidated and was seriously doubting my ability to do well. I would call my then SO crying hysterically "I can't do this!!! Everyone here is so smart and I'm going to fail again just like how I failed my first degree!". All that insecurity turned out to be an excellent motivator, because I ended up getting the highest the average in my program during my 1st year back.

For me, at first there was really no way to deal with the pressure except to scare myself into studying hard. Once I gave school work my full attention and started getting the marks I'd never imagined was possible for me, I started to believe in myself more. I had a slow-and-steady game plan for my second undergrad: Even though most of my peers who were doing their second undergrad in 2 years with summer school, I chose to this in 3 years. Year 1 (or at least the first semester) was for proving that I can pull off the high marks, nothing else. Year 2, I knew the academic system a little better, and started building my ECs to apply to my back-up career + work with profs who can potentially provide me with reference letters for med. Year 3 will be for submitting my OMSAS application (hopefully!) and application for my back-up career, taking it easy on the ECs, and give it one last push to bring up my marks since this year will be the most important for Ottawa. These days, it's really helpful knowing that I will be a competitive applicant for my back-up and can get my career started while I keep pursuing med school.When I'm not consumed by the negative self-talk that still lingers ('I am such a loser for even needing to do a second degree') I actually feel quite empowered for choosing to invest in my future right now and giving it my all, while I am still in my 20s without any major commitments that would distract me from my goal.

I don't really have any good advice to give, except to harness all this pressure into motivation to try your best. You've made a commitment to invest in your future. Being able to pursue to a second degree to get another shot at med school is, what I think, a privilege that not everyone can afford. It may feel like you are 'behind' your friends in life (getting married, having babies, starting a non-medicine career, etc.) but not having those commitments right now is probably the best for your goals and situation. There's a lot in our lives we can't control--we can't undo our first undergrad and whatever factors that contributed to needing to a second degree--but one of the few things we do have control over at this point is to be strategic and try our best moving forward. Keep your eye on the prize, be honest with yourself (are you trying your best? how much of your personal life are you willing to give up?), and give yourself time to relax and reflect on your progress and goals.

Best of luck to you :)

I'm starting my second undergrad in a month and I am so excited but also just a giant ball of stress.

The idea of taking on more student debt, knowing I already have one is a lot of pressure:\ The idea of going to university for undergrad studies for 7 years if I don't get into med school seems ridiculous. There's only a handful of schools that will even consider me at this point even if I ace my second degree. One of my best friends is getting married and another is having her first baby soon and I'm going into my first year of uni again.

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

anyone else doing their second undergrad right now or starting in the fall? How are you coping with all the pressure?

anyone finish theirs and actually get into med school? is it worth it?

I hope sooooo

dont ever give up! you can do it!!! best of luck! message me if u need motivation 

dont ever give up! you can do it!!! best of luck! message me if u need motivation 

and my AXE!

Ok seriously though don't give up on your dreams easily

There are times where one has to be realistic, but you're not at that point just yet. See how you do after a year or two and then revisit your plan.

- G

I lived through the same worries. I have 7 undergrad years under my belt: 4 for the first degree, 3 for the second (intentionally done to have it all included for Ottawa if needed). First degree was a glorious 2.92. Second degree completed at 3.95. Applied every year to numerous schools. It was only this cycle that I received interviews, to McGill, McMaster, Dalhousie and Université de Montréal. In at McGill, wait listed Oop at Dal, and cancelled my interviews at the other two once in at McGill.

If I was really stuck, I would have rewritten the mcat. Score was 12p 10b 13v, so missed the new western cut offs.

Never any interest from Queens.

I won't lie, it was nerve wracking. I had a decent plan b, but it would have also required more school. It was certainly worthwhile, but I don't know how I would have felt if it hadn't worked. My main advice would be to give it everything you've got, and don't let there be any weaknesses in your ECs. Try to get some experience volunteering with vulnerable populations, to practice your ability to deal with difficult situations. I found my work experiences in mental illness and homelessness were by far the best preparation for interviews I could have asked for.

PM me if you have any questions.

I lived through the same worries. I have 7 undergrad years under my belt: 4 for the first degree, 3 for the second (intentionally done to have it all included for Ottawa if needed). First degree was a glorious 2.92. Second degree completed at 3.95. Applied every year to numerous schools. It was only this cycle that I received interviews, to McGill, McMaster, Dalhousie and Université de Montréal. In at McGill, wait listed Oop at Dal, and cancelled my interviews at the other two once in at McGill.

If I was really stuck, I would have rewritten the mcat. Score was 12p 10b 13v, so missed the new western cut offs.

Never any interest from Queens.

I won't lie, it was nerve wracking. I had a decent plan b, but it would have also required more school. It was certainly worthwhile, but I don't know how I would have felt if it hadn't worked. My main advice would be to give it everything you've got, and don't let there be any weaknesses in your ECs. Try to get some experience volunteering with vulnerable populations, to practice your ability to deal with difficult situations. I found my work experiences in mental illness and homelessness were by far the best preparation for interviews I could have asked for.

PM me if you have any questions.

What was your cGPA for Mac? I have a pretty similar GPA trend--first degree 3.1-3.2, second degree 3.94 for two yrs so far and one more yr to go. I figured I would have absolutely no shot at Mac with my GPA. But then again your verbal score is stellar and probably rocked Casper

What was your cGPA for Mac? I have a pretty similar GPA trend--first degree 3.1-3.2, second degree 3.94 for two yrs so far and one more yr to go. I figured I would have absolutely no shot at Mac with my GPA. But then again your verbal score is stellar and probably rocked Casper

I did a quick calculation, his cGPA probably would have been 3.4ish, but he's got a very high verbal. Together, those stats would probably be equivalent to a 3.7 and 9VR, which is slightly below average at Mac but doable given a great CASPER, which was probably what he had.

Sigh...wish I had his VR and CASPER scores.

It was about 3.54, because I also did science prerequisites outside of a degree in between the two, which counted for mac.

Casper is key. Three years ago I applied with a 3.45 and was wait listed for the interview. Next year around 3.5, nothing. Clearly my Casper was worse the second time around. Finally got the interview this year. Make sure you can type fast, answer each question and hope for the best.

Ahhhh! Thank you everyone for the support! This thread made me smile a whole bunch:)

I believe this should help with the pep talk as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHfVn_cfHU

This is priceless, I think i'm going to watch this every morning when I wake up.

and my AXE!

Ok seriously though don't give up on your dreams easily

There are times where one has to be realistic, but you're not at that point just yet. See how you do after a year or two and then revisit your plan.

- G

you are excellent :P

Archived