Premed 101 Forums

Hi,

Thanks for spending your time to read my post. I am a Canadian high school student hoping to start university in 2016 September. I'm going to apply for admission in universities starting this October 2015. I'm still completing my high school courses and I'm sure I complete my high school with an average of 90-94%. I want to become a doctor in the future and I am interested in the sciences. I just can't figure out which university to choose for my undergraduate that will be best for applying into medical school in Canada later on. 

I live in Ontario so I prefer staying in Ontario for my university and staying in residence at the university will not be a problem anywhere in Ontario. I have heard people and my friends say that medical schools in Canada don't care which university you come from only the GPA and MCAT scores matter. I am really confused first I was thinking of going into Guelph or York for biomedical sciences or psychology. But as soon as I saw the statistics everywhere the most students who got accepted into medical schools were from McMaster, then UofT, and the Western. Guelph and York admissions into MD were very few. Now I can't decide whether I should go to McMaster, UofT, or Western rather than Guelph and York. I personally want to go to McMaster or UofT because of its reputation. My father says that University of Toronto won't kill you if you study hard over there you will succeed. He says you just gotta work hard and it will also prepare you for medical school. 

This is a great problem for me. If you guys can give me some advice or suggestion it will be appreciated. I am not scared of studying. And I did not study that hard in high school otherwise I could pull of a 95-97% too. So guys studying in university of Toronto please share your experience what's so hard over there why people are so scared. And I think that these top universities will provide me with more learning as they will have better professors who are more experienced. Please all suggest if I should take life sciences/biomedical or psychology.

Thanks,
 Aanish

Most students at Guelph who want to go into medicine are interested in veterinary medicine, not human medicine, hence only a small number of students apply to MD programs. I personally know several Guelph students who were accepted to various medical schools in Canada over the past several years.

It truly does not matter where you go to undergrad. Go to Toronto or McMaster if you prefer those universities and their programs, and can see yourself happy there. Go to York or Guelph if you prefer those universities and programs, and think you'll be happier there.

Ask yourself what sort of class size you prefer, it you want to be taught by grad students or profs, and what type of city you prefer. All those can affect your success.

Good luck.

You should think critically when you see tables like that

ex. UofT has 70,000 students. So yes, more total go too med school than say, Guelph, with 20k-ish

Nothing to do with the school itself. Again, if a school has a 90% high school cutoff, its more likely that those students themselves will aim to keep those grades in university, and thus, be more likely to go to med school.

correlation =/= causation 

Most students at Guelph who want to go into medicine are interested in veterinary medicine, not human medicine, hence only a small number of students apply to MD programs. I personally know several Guelph students who were accepted to various medical schools in Canada over the past several years.

It truly does not matter where you go to undergrad. Go to Toronto or McMaster if you prefer those universities and their programs, and can see yourself happy there. Go to York or Guelph if you prefer those universities and programs, and think you'll be happier there.

Ask yourself what sort of class size you prefer, it you want to be taught by grad students or profs, and what type of city you prefer. All those can affect your success.

Good luck.

Thank You!!

You should think critically when you see tables like that

ex. UofT has 70,000 students. So yes, more total go too med school than say, Guelph, with 20k-ish

Nothing to do with the school itself. Again, if a school has a 90% high school cutoff, its more likely that those students themselves will aim to keep those grades in university, and thus, be more likely to go to med school.

correlation =/= causation 

Thanks

Keep in mind program =/= school. There are hard and easy programs at every school. I'd recommend picking a program that has courses that interest you/elective space + is easy to score high marks + school that can give you the "college experience" (important because you will miss out on enjoying your youth otherwise if you spend the rest of it in med school). Reputation is irrelevant and holds no advantage in the admission process. The aforementioned 3 factors will affect your happiness and success! :)

You won't learn more by going to a "tougher" school, if anything you'll just get a worse GPA for the same effort. Study what interests you, the rest will follow.

I went to a tougher school and got a great GPA and definitely learned way more. In addition my work ethic ambition and drive just became even better because everyone around me inspired me to strive for bigger and better things. Whether the extra knowledge I learned winho me is irrelevant it is the kind of person it allowed me to develop in is what counts. The point is go to a school where the environment and atmosphere is one that you will thrive in. I always like a challenge so I chose McGill. To be honest most of my class that applied to medical school all got in so take that as you may. But don't go to a school thinking adcom will care where you came from they don't. But it's about your personality and your learning style

• 4 weeks later...

Archived