Premed 101 Forums

In-Province-Residency For Med/dent (My Experience)

StriveP

My point is this...... it's one thing to mention that moving IP is an option, it's another to go "I would do this all over again" and romanticize that this is the best thing for people who struggled to get into ON med schools assuming that they are financially capable, just to improve their medical school chances. If you think it's so unfair then complain to your ON schools. You got your point across and I (amongst a few others) didn't agree with it.

I could report you as well... but I don't want to stoop to your level. I looked at your long post history but it's pretty unremarkable, other than the occasional "have some common sense" or liking your own posts.... or pretty much echoing others + making useless one liners...... yeah unremarkable.

You (or the other admins that may respond to your report) got further problems with me? PM me instead. It would be best for both of us + the forum community that we never cross paths again in any form. Not like we'll take each other seriously for anything following this.

- G 

Edited by Arztin

Please stop the personal attacks for all you guys.

There is no fun trying to try to defame others.

Simply try to

- present information in an OBJECTIVE manner (e.g. not using the word mediocre when it comes to describing stats)

- argue with each other using actual arguments, and not to make other people lose credit to the eye of readers

- watch it with the tone of language

Thanks

Please stop the personal attacks for all you guys.

There is no fun trying to try to defame others.

Simply try to

- present information in an OBJECTIVE manner (e.g. not using the word mediocre when it comes to describing stats)

- argue with each other using actual arguments, and not to make other people lose credit to the eye of readers

- watch it with the tone of language

Thanks

I definitely could have used a better tone. Fully willing to admit that. However, I feel like the attacks are actually pretty one sided here.... I haven't called anyone a liar or accused them of having fake accounts.

I definitely could have used a better tone. Fully willing to admit that. However, I feel like the attacks are actually pretty one sided here.... I haven't called anyone a liar or accused them of having fake accounts.

yup. agreed

StriveP, please be more cordial towards others...

You were not exactly friendly on another thread about the shooting neither...

Edit: and yes I do understand you're trying to present a good strategy, StriveP. Your intentions were without doubt good.

Edited by Arztin

• 8 months later...

I've been getting a lot of PMs about this and so I think this should be bumped so more people can see it.

One thing I want to update is that every province gives different student loans to for Medical/Dental students. Ontario gives $10,000/year, BC gives $17,000/year, Alberta gives $40,000/year. This means that when I go to Harvard next year, the government of Alberta will be giving me $160,000 INTEREST-FREE over my four years to cover my tuition fees + living expenses! And the bank will give me a loan of $250,000+ on top of that provincial loan. This comes out to 410k of my tuition being covered. That's ALOT of money! If I stayed in Ontario, I would have only gotten $10,000/year which is peanuts. So keep that in mind before you decide what you want to do. 

I've been getting a lot of PMs about this and so I think this should be bumped so more people can see it.

One thing I want to update is that every province gives different student loans to for Medical/Dental students. Ontario gives $10,000/year, BC gives $17,000/year, Alberta gives $40,000/year. This means that when I go to Harvard next year, the government of Alberta will be giving me $160,000 INTEREST-FREE over my four years to cover my tuition fees + living expenses! And the bank will give me a loan of $250,000+ on top of that provincial loan. This comes out to 410k of my tuition being covered. That's ALOT of money! If I stayed in Ontario, I would have only gotten $10,000/year which is peanuts. So keep that in mind before you decide what you want to do.

Please note (for others) that for many provinces, the province you receive student loans from is the province you attended high school in.

Also that some provinces (Ontario) give grants while others don't. And I feel like Ontario gives most people a lot more than that?

So keep that in mind.

Please note (for others) that for many provinces, the province you receive student loans from is the province you attended high school in.

Also that some provinces (Ontario) give grants while others don't. And I feel like Ontario gives most people a lot more than that?

So keep that in mind.

Good point. Just want to clear this up: Alberta will give you $40,000 regardless if you went to high-school there or not, not sure about the other provinces though. And the grants that Ontario gives is peanuts (just a few thousand dollars). So at least with Alberta you never have to worry about rent, food, paying tuition since most of it will be covered for you. 

Good point. Just want to clear this up: Alberta will give you $40,000 regardless if you went to high-school there or not, not sure about the other provinces though. And the grants that Ontario gives is peanuts (just a few thousand dollars). So at least with Alberta you never have to worry about rent, food, paying tuition since most of it will be covered for you.

Not unless you've worked in Alberta for 2 years while NOT attending post secondary.

http://studentaid.alberta.ca/before-you-apply/eligibility/

This is false. You get the loans of the last province you lived in without being in post-secondary full-time. 

Living in Ontario for 4 years doesn't get me OSAP (sadly), and living in Alberta for undergrad would also not get be Alberta loans.

This is false. You get the loans of the last province you lived in without being in post-secondary full-time. 

Living in Ontario for 4 years doesn't get me OSAP (sadly), and living in Alberta for undergrad would also not get be Alberta loans.

Not quite, each province has their own requirements. Here is Alberta's:

To be eligible for student aid, you must be an Alberta resident. To determine your residency, you first need to know if you are considered a dependent or an independent student.

Independent Student (you must meet at least one of the following): 

• 23 years of age or older
    • have been out of high school for at least 4 years
    • have been available for full time work for at least two years since leaving high school
    • are married or common law
    • are divorced, separated, or widowed
    • have at least one dependent child of your own 

If you do not meet at least one of these points, you are considered a dependent student.

Residency for Independent Students

• Alberta is the province in which you have most recently lived for 12 consecutive months while not a full time post-secondary student, or
    • You have never lived in any other Canadian province for 12 consecutive months and are attending a post-secondary school in Alberta

Residency for Dependent Students

• At least one of your parents must live in Alberta

Not quite, each province has their own requirements. Here is Alberta's:

To be eligible for student aid, you must be an Alberta resident. To determine your residency, you first need to know if you are considered a dependent or an independent student.

Independent Student (you must meet at least one of the following): 

• 23 years of age or older
    • have been out of high school for at least 4 years
    • have been available for full time work for at least two years since leaving high school
    • are married or common law
    • are divorced, separated, or widowed
    • have at least one dependent child of your own 

If you do not meet at least one of these points, you are considered a dependent student.

Residency for Independent Students

• Alberta is the province in which you have most recently lived for 12 consecutive months while not a full time post-secondary student, or
    • You have never lived in any other Canadian province for 12 consecutive months and are attending a post-secondary school in Alberta

Residency for Dependent Students

• At least one of your parents must live in Alberta

Right....exactly what I said. That's exactly what it is for other provinces too.

After 4 years, you're an 'independent student'. At which point you can only get alberta loans IF

So unless you just moved to Canada when you're at an Alberta school, you don't get Alberta loans without taking a year off

I've been getting a lot of PMs about this and so I think this should be bumped so more people can see it.

One thing i would add is, that BC doesn't actually give 17,000 per year...more like 12,000-14,000 if you are the highest need etc. BUT ontario gives significant amounts in grants, that BC does not.

But yeah, Alberta is pretty badass in regard to interest free loans.

Right....exactly what I said. That's exactly what it is for other provinces too.

After 4 years, you're an 'independent student'. At which point you can only get alberta loans IF

So unless you just moved to Canada when you're at an Alberta school, you don't get Alberta loans without taking a year off

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize each province has the same rule to apply for student loans, good to know  :)

Basically you need to be a PART-TIME student or not attending university in order to be eligible for the $40k/year student loans in Alberta. I was fortunate to be taking only a few classes when I was in Edmonton so that's how I was eligible. 

Everyone is the hero of their own narrative.
The OP found an opportunity and took it.
These kind of loopholes exists everywhere, and to assume people dont know about them or take advantage of them is unreal.

Something similar exists in quebec and you would be surprised of how many people took advantage of it and got in.

StriveP, did you say that you did not interview at any Ontario medical schools, but received interviews at Harvard and Columbia??

This is not meant to be confrontational by any means, I'm just genuinely curious. I've heard some of my friends joke about medical school admissions in Canada being tougher than Ivy league schools.. but never took it seriously.

Also worth pointing out that some provinces do have other eligibility criteria for students with different life situations. For example, I'm eligible for OSAP this year (for 2016-17 school year) even though the last province I lived in for 12 months while not a student was PEI. The reason I'm now officially an Ontario resident is because my husband will have lived here for 12 months (while not a student) by the time next school year starts. Thus benefits me very significantly (tens of thousands less debt) so I'm very glad I looked into the eligibility criteria in detail.

One could argue that in province advantages actually screw the health care system because they allow less competitive individuals get to medical school in place of more competitive and potentially more competent ones from other locations. So, should we be saying "way to screw the medical system" to regular IP applicants?

Just for clarity, no, one could NOT make the argument that IP advantages "screw the health care system". A less competitive applicant getting into medical school has absolutely nothing to do with health care outcomes. That is absurd.

The requirements of canadian medical school systems are simply metrics of the process due to oversupply and demand. The averages and competitive profiles are FAR above what is actually required academically to succesfully complete medical school and go onto residency training. 

No commentary on the remainder of your comments.