Premed 101 Forums

Best Backup Degree?

Future.MD

Whoever has read my last thread knows that I am contemplating if Medicine is worth the time investment for myself and because of this I am looking into different careers. 

I am wondering in terms of science, what are the higher paying careers that don't require a huge time investment (MD, PhD lets say). 

Also, what is a good undergraduate degree in science in terms of employability and salary? Is a Physics degree more employable than a Chemistry? Is a Health Science degree as employable as a Biology degree? etc. 

A bachelor of science is not the quick and easy way to lots of money. Maybe go for eng, MBA, honestly lots of money with little school just isn't a thing in a field that's more about slow,steady progress than any other. 

masters of biotech?

the years and years of study, years of low pay and crazy hours as a resident, just make med a terrible choice if money is what makes you happy.I'm not judging you, please don't think that. Its fine to just want money. But science is not the quick route to it

what are the higher paying careers that don't require a huge time investment

Mate I hate to say it but it really comes off like you're looking to make it rich quick. There's not a lot of science based degrees that guarantee you a good paying job right out of the gate, except for the aforementioned engineering route. 

I think what might be a good route for you is trying to figure out what you want to do for a living. If making money is your major goal (which is totally fine), then have a look at the best paying jobs and go with one of those you think you'll like the most. 

The time that it takes to get to where you want to be is just time, it will pass anyway. But take it from me, if you're not doing something you like, a good salary only helps so much. 

Mate I hate to say it but it really comes off like you're looking to make it rich quick. There's not a lot of science based degrees that guarantee you a good paying job right out of the gate, except for the aforementioned engineering route. 

I think what might be a good route for you is trying to figure out what you want to do for a living. If making money is your major goal (which is totally fine), then have a look at the best paying jobs and go with one of those you think you'll like the most. 

The time that it takes to get to where you want to be is just time, it will pass anyway. But take it from me, if you're not doing something you like, a good salary only helps so much. 

Its totally possible though to enjoy making money which consequently means you enjoy any job that makes money. I'm pretty sure most drug dealers don't necessarily enjoy their jobs and even most investment bankers do not enjoy spending 100 hours at the office creating spreadsheets, but they all make a lot of money and people do it for that reason. 

Medicine is one of the few careers where you can both enjoy your job and make a good living at the same time, but for most people out there, they do not enjoy their careers. I know that I wouldn't "enjoy" working at an office job, but I'm sure most people do it because they need to get paid and the salary beats one at a minimum wage job. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you are in high school and money is your goal, consider paths that do not seem so glamorous. Real estate is not easy, it is a lot of work, but at the same time I see people I went to high school with, not the brightest, making a killing.

Another example is people above mentioning engineering, but you are likely to make more as a nurse or dental hygienist. Makes me laugh a bit when people worry about women shying away from engineering.

Speaking of fields that are big on one gender, skilled trades are a good option.

Archived