Premed 101 Forums

Research Without A Publication

There's no section for pubs. The section is more generic - - "Research." You can include pubs, presentations, research awards, even a thesis in this section. For the research position itself, most people include those under "Volunteer" or "Employment" depending on if you were paid or not.

I find this so confusing, and I've already read the entire pinned Research thread and other posts.

If the research position only involves working on one study, does that go under research (even if it has not yet resulted in any pubs/presentations?)

If you were involved in the "thinking" portion of the research, then although not ideal, yes I think you can include it in the research section. If you were just running expts for someone else/washing glassware or something without contributing intellectually to the research project, then it doesn't belong in the research section.

Also, I know people in the past who have included SOPs that they have written for the lab in the research section (and they got into med school). So if you have anything like that, it would be something to include. Get creative and really think about what you've contributed in your position without trying to "pad" your ABS. People who have never done research before have gotten into med school so it's not the end of the world.

Archived