Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
InstantRamen

How Personal Did You Get In Your Personal Essay?

Hey guys...

So I understand that a personal essay is supposed to reflect the applicant, but how personal did you guys get? Did you guys put a personal example in each essay? Some of them are opinion, so I'm just not sure if a personal experience would be relevant? 

ie. the altruism question kind of just asks what you think...

Please let me know.

I spoke to admissions today and they said listing personal experiences in the BPE is absolutely NOT necessary. They said that if you can use them then thats great but that you can have an equally good answer by arguing your points well about the subject 

thanks for that post ^^

I've seen a few different opinions on this. I think the best post I've read was incorporate personal experience if it makes sense and strengthens your answer, don't force them in if they don't fit. The questions have clusters built right in, so your answer should reflect you in regards to clusters whether you have personal experiences in there or not. I do agree with Bambi personal experiences are a very good way of show casing yourself though

I included a personal example in my altruism essay (about experiences in health care). The politics one was just a typical essay

I was actually the opposite of you. I've never had experience in healthcare besides the generic hospital volunteer. On the other hand, I had a lot to talk about for advocacy.