nick

Knock?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Knock?

• No knock.
    • Knock once.
    • Knock knock.
    • Knock knock knock.
    • Four or more knocks (including all two-handed rapid fire knocking)
    • Keep knocking until they actually call you in or get up and open the door for you.

Knock once? Knock twice? Barge in? What is your knocking strategy?

Personally, I started out as a knocker, but now I'm no-knock. I figure, when the bell goes off they know I'm coming in. Knocking is a vestigial remnant from Cromwellian England (which was before Canadian med schools switched to the MMI); the bell is my knock.

Do the knocks. I'm a multi year MMIer..... I talked this year to a preceptor who takes place in MMIs and he says that even though they aren't supposed to a lack of a knock can annoy them. It can only hurt you if you don't do it.

trust me broski, 2 years no knock followed by one year knocking and i got in after the knocks  :lol:

I realized just after my interviews that I had forgotten to knock at a few stations. I think I got out of the habit because I didn't really see the point - the buzzer went off so they should know I'm about to come in! But after I thought about it a bit I realized it is kind of a courtesy, and it is what we would do if we were about to enter a room to see a patient. Needless to say I felt pretty dumb for forgetting. Things still turned out well for me in the end at those schools so it's not the end of the world but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Do the knocks. I'm a multi year MMIer..... I talked this year to a preceptor who takes place in MMIs and he says that even though they aren't supposed to a lack of a knock can annoy them. It can only hurt you if you don't do it.

trust me broski, 2 years no knock followed by one year knocking and i got in after the knocks :lol:

I didn't knock on a single door and I got into all three schools I interviewed at. Anecdotes for the win!!

;)

Personally, if I were interviewing I'd probably be more annoyed by knocking. I mean, as someone said, they know you're coming. I feel like it's redundant.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived