Premed 101 Forums

Casper Done.. Thoughts?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why even bother responding .... if you're just going to tell people to prepare for anything.

There are no school specific questions (ie. why mac, or why mac curriculum etc.)

Probably because revealing what's on/not on the test is against the agreement if I remember correctly, but you know, sorry for sticking to my integrity. I almost did though, but because I couldn't 100% remember I thought doing that would be better than nothing. Not important anyway now that you've done it. 

Sorry for all those folks that had those issues earlier, very unfortunate, hopefully the company can resolve some of your issues :D.

Anyone else writing the 10pm test and getting destroyed? I am on my half-way break and damn I feel incompetent. I'm just rambling off on the first things that come to mind and there hasn't been much in terms of ethics, just more so practicality based scenarios. Really not what I was expecting and everything goes pretty fast. I see why people say you can't prepare for it. I am also a horribly slow typer and make plenty of mistakes when trying to type fast. Feel like I am rushing the last question everytime with only 1 min or less to answer it and honestly just BS'ing the thing. 

This really is in no way indicative of my non-cognitive attributes when I can barely type fast enough to answer everything. All my preparation has gone out the window and I am just trying to survive this thing, lol. 

Anyone else writing the 10pm test and getting destroyed? I am on my half-way break and damn I feel incompetent. I'm just rambling off on the first things that come to mind and there hasn't been much in terms of ethics, just more so practicality based scenarios. Really not what I was expecting and everything goes pretty fast. I see why people say you can't prepare for it. I am also a horribly slow typer and make plenty of mistakes when trying to type fast. Feel like I am rushing the last question everytime with only 1 min or less to answer it and honestly just BS'ing the thing. 

This really is in no way indicative of my non-cognitive attributes when I can barely type fast enough to answer everything. All my preparation has gone out the window and I am just trying to survive this thing, lol. 

And this is why there will always be an argument for, AND against CASPer lol :P. It's worked for Mac, so I don't see them dropping it anytime soon. it's a tough test, but remember, every scenario is a fresh start as it's a new assessor. But yeah, not really anyway to prep other than get used to typing out your thoughts quickly by doing practice CASPer scenarios, and just general life experience really. Keep going hard, you're almost there and then you're waiting like the rest of us :P. Stay frosty, except your hands, you want warm hands to type fast xD. GOOD LUCK.

just keep going and try to be confident in your answers, you can do it! it'll be over soon :)

I wrote my test at 4:00PM (well 5:10PM). I think it went alright, but I feel I could've answered one of the hypothetical scenarios better. Also ran out of time on the 3rd question for a pretty simple scenario after the break...only wrote a mediocre couple of sentences. I really hope this helps my Ottawa application!

why even bother responding .... if you're just going to tell people to prepare for anything.

There are no school specific questions (ie. why mac, or why mac curriculum etc.)

After writing CASPer, I think the most accurate advice given here as been to prepare for anything lol

After writing CASPer, I think the most accurate advice given here as been to prepare for anything lol

I meant it, like lol I have written this thing 3 times. It is very different EVERY TIME, but things as vague as growing as a person has helped me. It literally wants to test how you deal with life situations and such.

People feel bad about it and still get interviews people, don't lose all hope everyone! The thing is a black box after all, welcome to the wait until january :). Get some rest, you all deserve it!

I hope they implement a way to do speech to text. I can't believe my chances at two medical schools are going to be destroyed because I don't know how to type. If I had the chance to verbalize my ideas I'd have done so much better and it's so frustrating.

I feel the exact same way. I am so much more comfortable articulating my responses orally. I am a horribly slow typer and make tons of mistakes when I try to type rapidly. I spent a decent amount of time deleting my errors which were incoherent so I could finish typing my sentence into something sensical. 

Its unfortunate because I do genuinely feel that I wasn't able to accurately articulate my positions or demonstrate as comprehensive of a response as I would have liked. I also was cutoff in answering the third question quite a few times.

Overall, I did feel that some stations were stronger than others but I fear that my strong stations were the resounding minority and mostly because of my typing which affected my time management. I did also feel that some of my answers weren't as well thought out as I would have liked but that is to be expected considering the strict time constraints.

I guess we'll know in the new year and hopefully I didn't do as poorly as I feel I did.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good luck to everyone!

I'm also a much better speaker than writer, but I've worked on my writing for a really long time. :/ I wish we could respond as a video (or, pick to write/make a video); I found myself going over my responses verbally (to my cat... oh man, I need to get out more) during the break, and articulating myself much more effectively afterwards.

I also feel like I had less time than ideas, and that I couldn't fully portray myself...for you slow typers, I only type a tiny bit more slowly than I speak, and I *still* did not feel like I had enough time to express all of my thoughts...and, I felt like the picture I was giving of myself to the assessors was therefore incomplete. So, I think we're all in the same boat. I'm really verbose, but I'm not articulate. A few sentences could have contained a ton of content. 

Without discussing what was on the test, there were a few questions I really didn't see them coming, and I think there would have been no way to prepare for them (I hope that's vague enough?).

I did a lot of prep work (including signing up for a first year biomedical ethics course that I really didn't need to take), but the only thing that I did that I found helpful was to make a list of ...critical... experiences ahead of time (vaguely speaking), and keep them fresh in my head for the test. I had a list of categories that I thought were possibly important, and I brainstormed what may be a good example for each in the days before the test.

Nevertheless, I was still caught off-guard by a few of the questions. A couple times, I thought my answer flowed nicely. Other times, I felt like I was vomiting words onto my keyboard, and hoping they made sentences.

At any rate, since I'm a non-traditional applicant with a slightly-below-admitted-average GPA, and I'm coming from a totally different field, I'm expecting it to take a few more years before I actually have a shot. Unless, that is, I did really well on the CASPer this year. But, the entire process seems kind of based on who gets your replies, and which words you happened to barf out onto the keyboard in a very limited amount of time!

I'm trying to wind down now. That was a tiny bit intense...!

Well that was interesting.

First time writing the CASPer here. I had the 8pm slot on the 29th.

A med friend of mine had told me to really focus on evaluating multiple perspectives from everyone involved, so that's what I did and I hope it came out okay. A little annoyed that I did not completely finish my idea for 2 sub-questions, but I think the rest of my responses were strong.

I really, really feel for people who are not quick typists writing CASPer.. I average about 130 wpm (lowest 120 highest 160) and I still felt strapped for time in spots.

Well that was interesting.

First time writing the CASPer here. I had the 8pm slot on the 29th.

A med friend of mine had told me to really focus on evaluating multiple perspectives from everyone involved, so that's what I did and I hope it came out okay. A little annoyed that I did not completely finish my idea for 2 sub-questions, but I think the rest of my responses were strong.

I really, really feel for people who are not quick typists writing CASPer.. I average about 130 wpm (lowest 120 highest 160) and I still felt strapped for time in spots.

do you mean 30 - 60 words per minute? 160 is like world record time! i'm more around 50 words per minute

Don't feel like you need to write a lot in order to get a good score in CASPer. Being concise, and straightforward but still communicating your ideas and thoughts is an important skill to have.

When I wrote the CASPer, I wrote maybe 3 - 4 sentences MAX for each question.

I didn't find it too brutal to be honest. That being said, I'm a fast typer and I have a nursing background where ethics was a topic beaten into us ad nauesum. I also did around 10 practice tests from Astroff / MockCapser (yeah I know, overkill.. ) which I found REALLY helpful. Not sure why others didn't find doing right helpful, it certainly was for some questions and I also sat down and applied the principles to multiple scenarios. If anyone has questions feel free to PM me :)

do you mean 30 - 60 words per minute? 160 is like world record time! i'm more around 50 words per minute

Nope, I average about 130 and max out at about 162. Honestly, I don't think it was my fingers that held me back, it was more my ability to quickly analyze the scenarios.  That being said, I have to restate that I would absolutely hate to be an individual with a low wpm and I do feel that this test promotes a barrier for them.

Nope, I average about 130 and max out at about 162. Honestly, I don't think it was my fingers that held me back, it was more my ability to quickly analyze the scenarios.  That being said, I have to restate that I would absolutely hate to be an individual with a low wpm and I do feel that this test promotes a barrier for them.

I thought I was a fast typer and I just did one of those and got 100 WPM. 162 is mind blowing haha 

100 wpm is 99.99 percentile and you would need a mechanical keyboard and supreme concentration to hit that number. 160 wpm is unbelievable (literally not believable).

In any case, it really is ridiculous when people claim typing speed doesn't have much of an effect on success at casper.

"My friend types with 1 finger and got an interview". Ya she probably also had a 4.0 GPA and a 13VR.

100 wpm is 99.99 percentile and you would need a mechanical keyboard and supreme concentration to hit that number. 160 wpm is unbelievable (literally not believable).

In any case, it really is ridiculous when people claim typing speed doesn't have much of an effect on success at casper.

"My friend types with 1 finger and got an interview". Ya she probably also had a 4.0 GPA and a 13VR.

double post

It accounts for 10% of your score for UOttawa, right?

I meant it, like lol I have written this thing 3 times. It is very different EVERY TIME, but things as vague as growing as a person has helped me. It literally wants to test how you deal with life situations and such.

It's a different experience overtime IMisLove?

Archived