Premed 101 Forums

Casper Done.. Thoughts?

I know I'm being paranoid but i've got to ask... is there anything i may be forgetting in terms of linking CASPER to your application?

- Provide OMSAS ref number (the 2016-xxxxxx one) and AAMC code to the takeCasper account

- Indicate "yes" you're taking CASPER on the McMaster section of OUAC

- Complete the Casper, obviously (it says 'completed').

So i'm just making sure I didn't forget any steps!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People.  Spend 10 minutes per day on a typing site and improve your speed and technique if you're concerned you will have to write Casper again.  It's very doable.  Everybody has 10 minutes a day.  

There are lots of things in this process you have zero control over.  Unless you have a medical condition that limits your finger agility, this is not one of them. 

Plus, you probably did better than you think you did. 

People.  Spend 10 minutes per day on a typing site and improve your speed and technique if you're concerned you will have to write Casper again.  It's very doable.  Everybody has 10 minutes a day.  

There are lots of things in this process you have zero control over.  Unless you have a medical condition that limits your finger agility, this is not one of them. 

Plus, you probably did better than you think you did. 

Thank you. So much whining over bad typing speed when 1) it is an easily remedied problem and 2) isn't even the most important component to doing well on casper if you are concise.

I have a learning disability AND a medical condition that affects the agility of my fingers (google Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome if you're interested in weird diseases). I also have arthritis in a few of my fingers. (I'm also cleared by my doctor to apply to medical school:)). 

But, I type 120 wpm. I practiced every day, for a half hour every, when I was a kid (since I knew I needed a good alternative to handwriting). 

I made it my goal to type fast, and I reached it.. I also learned this skill at about 1/3rd the rate of other people. 

If typing speed is your only problem you think you have, I think you should work on it; it's going to be easy for you to fix, and ... and, I feel like it's not something you guys need to whine about.

I'm not saying you should have gratitude for not being disabled (which is pointless); instead, just do ~1/3rd of the work that I did (unless you have a problem like me), and you'll probably type faster than I can. If things have always come easily for you, and this is an annoying/tedious task (or, a difficult one), try to see it as just one more step in the process. 

I did it. You (probably) can, too. If there is a reason you cannot (beyond "I currently cannot/don't have time" - like, if you're missing a finger), contact them. 

Alternatively, work on being concise. If you don't write a lot, get a tutor, take a history minor, write for fun...whatever. 

But, before doing any of this, perhaps wait to see if you got an interview? :) It's pointless to freak out about it right now. Maybe, you have nothing to worry about. 

Archived