Premed 101 Forums

Assistance In Calculating Gpa

Hey guys, 

is there anyone that can help me calculate my gpa for medical schools?

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but some of you may have seen me consider a masters vs Caribbeans but apparently, I have a 3.82 queens GPA, 3.80 western GPA, and if I do well, I'll have a 3.63 cGPA, enough to apply to uoft, mac, and ottawa.

I'd post my grades here but I'd prefer not to.

The reason I need help is because I have some advanced questions (for example, in my previous year, I had dropped 4 courses, but still had 3 courses/semester, as queens wanted... so does that  mean I can use that year?)

Please inbox me!

Haven't written it yet.

And based on my calculations, I have a 3.78 for Western and 3.79 for Queens (based off my best 2 years and most recent 2 years).

cGPA: 3.60 by the end of the year (applicable for uoft/mac)

Ottawa GPA = 3.72 without my first year because it did not have a complete course load. I only have 3 years of full courseload with 1 semester in the summer to make up for year 1.

And based on my calculations, I have a 3.78 for Western and 3.79 for Queens (based off my best 2 years and most recent 2 years).

Just make sure your best 2 years for Western both have a 5.0 FCE course load or else they won't count them. If you meet their MCAT cutoff, then you're guaranteed an interview there. Good luck!

Edit: And make sure each individual year is above 3.75, not just the average of the 2 years. And that they each have 3/5 courses that are at the appropriate level for your year (ex. 300-level courses in 3rd year).

Just make sure your best 2 years for Western both have a 5.0 FCE course load or else they won't count them. If you meet their MCAT cutoff, then you're guaranteed an interview there. Good luck!

Edit: And make sure each individual year is above 3.75, not just the average of the 2 years. And that they each have 3/5 courses that are at the appropriate level for your year (ex. 300-level courses in 3rd year).

exactly - a lot of people learn about the rules latter in the game and have to do some make up work or focus on particular schools. Doesn't mean it cannot be done though

I thought it was funny because OP seemed so confident about being able to apply to Ottawa and UofT in his post "I'll have a 3.63 enough to apply to Ottawa,Mac, and UofT."

yeah that comes up a lot - I mean it is mostly the fault of the silly schools. Why bother to post on your site "minimum GPAs" that are just so far off of the realistic ones that it is pointless. What is the point in giving people incorrect targets, false hope, and generally wasting everyone's time? It's kind of annoying.

Then you get people that look up the numbers - think great I am above the minimum (even comfortably above it in some cases) and they go off and work on ECs etc, etc. Then get crushed around the time of applying.

Ha - I am probably been a bit testy today but it is really not logical in my mind. Post minimums sure - but then publish right beside it the average. Let's make sure everyone is on the same page here.

yeah that comes up a lot - I mean it is mostly the fault of the silly schools. Why bother to post on your site "minimum GPAs" that are just so far off of the realistic ones that it is pointless. What is the point in giving people incorrect targets, false hope, and generally wasting everyone's time? It's kind of annoying.

Then you get people that look up the numbers - think great I am above the minimum (even comfortably above it in some cases) and they go off and work on ECs etc, etc. Then get crushed around the time of applying.

Ha - I am probably been a bit testy today but it is really not logical in my mind. Post minimums sure - but then publish right beside it the average. Let's make sure everyone is on the same page here.

They should give the real minimum. Toronto's website says 3.6 is the minimum but they didn't read anyone's application if they had less than a 3.8. Or Queen's which doesn't publish MCAT cutoffs which most people wouldn't know unless they surf these forums.

They should give the real minimum. Toronto's website says 3.6 is the minimum but they didn't read anyone's application if they had less than a 3.8. Or Queen's which doesn't publish MCAT cutoffs which most people wouldn't know unless they surf these forums.

exactly my point - the idea should always be make a level playing field where everyone knows or can easily access at least the rules/targets. The idea that you need a 3rd party website to learn the true targets is not logical. Of course imagine if this site didn't even exist - then it would be even worse.

But imagine all the money the schools wouldn't get then! lol

Hey guys, 

is there anyone that can help me calculate my gpa for medical schools?

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but some of you may have seen me consider a masters vs Caribbeans but apparently, I have a 3.82 queens GPA, 3.80 western GPA, and if I do well, I'll have a 3.63 cGPA, enough to apply to uoft, mac, and ottawa.

I'd post my grades here but I'd prefer not to.

The reason I need help is because I have some advanced questions (for example, in my previous year, I had dropped 4 courses, but still had 3 courses/semester, as queens wanted... so does that  mean I can use that year?)

Please inbox me!

If you didn't have a full course load (5) you can't use that year for western though, just so you know

But imagine all the money the schools wouldn't get then! lol

people enough to run the admin department - say about 400K a year based on applicant numbers and how OMSAS scales (in other words kind of a guess).

still I like to think that willful ramping up the numbers is not the objective here :)

On the other hand, there have been people who have gotten in with lower GPAs because they excel in another part of their life that the adcom deemed worthy to make up for the GPA. Realistically speaking, these individuals are rare. But by keeping the published averages low, it encourages these people to apply.

On the other hand, there have been people who have gotten in with lower GPAs because they excel in another part of their life that the adcom deemed worthy to make up for the GPA. Realistically speaking, these individuals are rare. But by keeping the published averages low, it encourages these people to apply.

sure - which is why I think publishing the average is useful as well. 

Archived