Premed 101 Forums

What To Do With Time Off

Emojis4Life

haha, I really didn't mean to start a controversy!

P.S. though, I hate the justification of "it's just life" (almost always).  You can apply that to literally everything.  Doesn't mean everything in life is perfect how it is and we shouldn't ever criticize it or try to change it.

LOL, yup, you are my brain double for sure. We have very similar opinions on just about everything. 

I also do not like that sentiment, especially when people say "life isn't fair, get used to it!". Wow, awesome excuse. Life isn't fair so that means that you get to be an asshole too?

When it comes to the unfairness in hiring, it's not so much about that. It's not like I am saying unfairness is okay. It's more that there are so many factors at play when a person is hiring, that it's difficult, actually nearly impossible, to set down laws to make it fair. 

For example, in my field (law), they actually have a concept of "fit". As in, we like to hire those who "have the best fit for our firm" and fit in with "the firm's culture". It turns out to be pretty racist and class-ist, but it is what it is. Oh, and yes, of course they also tend to prefer the better looking people there too. 

And, like I said, I have been asked many times whether I have children. As if women who have children are a liability, but men who have children I am sure are not so worrisome. 

I don't know what to do about these problems. All I know is that they exist and maybe it will get better soon. 

LOL, yup, you are my brain double for sure. We have very similar opinions on just about everything.

I also do not like that sentiment, especially when people say "life isn't fair, get used to it!". Wow, awesome excuse. Life isn't fair so that means that you get to be an asshole too?

When it comes to the unfairness in hiring, it's not so much about that. It's not like I am saying unfairness is okay. It's more that there are so many factors at play when a person is hiring, that it's difficult, actually nearly impossible, to set down laws to make it fair.

For example, in my field (law), they actually have a concept of "fit". As in, we like to hire those who "have the best fit for our firm" and fit in with "the firm's culture". It turns out to be pretty racist and class-ist, but it is what it is. Oh, and yes, of course they also tend to prefer the better looking people there too.

And, like I said, I have been asked many times whether I have children. As if women who have children are a liability, but men who have children I am sure are not so worrisome.

I don't know what to do about these problems. All I know is that they exist and maybe it will get better soon.

Haha yay! Honoured to be your brain double.

But... Just to point out how pervasive the attitude is, you just said "it is what it is". :P

Haha yay! Honoured to be your brain double.

But... Just to point out how pervasive the attitude is, you just said "it is what it is". :P

When I say "it is what it is", I mean that it's a reality, and you have to accept reality and deal with it even when it's not right/isn't fair. Unfairness in hiring practices is one example of a problem that cannot be legislated away. It needs to be chipped away at over time. 

This unfortunately takes more time. On the other hand, it has it's benefits because trying to mandate fairness in this area would be like using a sledgehammer where a scalpel is needed. There are a lot of nuances that a set of rules is ill-suited to address. For example, hiring in government settings has a lot of rules in place with the aim of making things more fair. In many instances, it seems that the rules over shoot their mark and actually make things less fair. 

Things can change little by little over time and I don't think it's such a bad thing. I have been really happily surprised over my lifetime to see lots of things change for the better that started off little by little. A few small victories add up and suddenly you have a tidal wave on your hands, it's pretty cool! It's like the fall of the Berlin wall (which would have been really cool to witness as an adult or even a teenager, being a gen y or whatever, I was too young to even if I had heard about it). 

Archived