Premed 101 Forums

I'm trying to decide between these two types of programs. I am fascinated by the human body and that is why I am interested in Kinesiology, however I am not interested on the sports/coaching aspect of it. Life science would give me a better science background, but I heard it generally looks at biological things from a molecular level. 

Honestly it depends on the content of the kinesiology or life science programs at the schools you are looking at. I would suggest visiting the websites of the respective institutions, where you can usually find a year by year breakdown of the typical and required courses for people in a particular major (essentially the degree requirements) and you can also see if you can take a look at the courses offered by the different schools in the programs you are interested in--this can give you an idea of what sorts of electives are available that relate to your interests.

In my own experience, I know many people who have switched to kinesiology because they found that doing a degree in "biology" or "biomedicine" was not as focused on the human body as they were hoping for. Select whichever program you are most interested in as you'll have a much more enjoyable undergraduate experience if you actually are interested in what you are learning. I'm sure you could achieve a similar GPA in either program, but this ultimately depends on your efforts.

I'm trying to decide between these two types of programs. I am fascinated by the human body and that is why I am interested in Kinesiology, however I am not interested on the sports/coaching aspect of it. Life science would give me a better science background, but I heard it generally looks at biological things from a molecular level. 

coaching aspect of it? I guess it depends on the school and their specific program. But my Kinesiology program BSc is more science focused. And we get to take a 1st year human anatomy course with a cadaver lab (yes real cadavers).

You can easily get  high grades in most lifesci programs. Probably the easiest science major. It also gives you more grad school/sumer job opportunities often in research

Lifesci is the 'how' the body works, kin is how the body works in sport/physical activity. Kin course are more coaching/biomechanics of moveennts, applied to sport

You could always take the life sciences program and fit in kinesiology courses as electives.  Perhaps talk to the schools you are considering and see how flexible that option is.  I went to York Uni in Toronto and almost all my electives were kin courses whereas my degree was biomed.

coaching aspect of it? I guess it depends on the school and their specific program. But my Kinesiology program BSc is more science focused. And we get to take a 1st year human anatomy course with a cadaver lab (yes real cadavers).

What school?

Most schools will have kin take anat, with those kind of labs. But most courses are very much sports/coaching oriented

This is false.

To the OP, I suggest looking at the ENTIRE course listings in the kin departments for the schools you are interested in applying to. In my experience, most schools in Ontario have a large proportion of courses devoted to different aspects of human physiology. At my undergrad program I think there were maybe 1 or 2 courses about coaching among 50+ other electives.

As for your worry about "sports", it's definitely an aspect that can be explored more with a kin major, but only if YOU choose to take electives about sports (some are probably still "sciency" enough - plenty of courses out there on injuries and rehab which in my opinion is more interesting and relevant to the human body than a course on nucleic acids or something). Some programs might make you take a course or two about the psychology/sociology of sport but that's about it. And keep in mind life sci will definitely have a ton of courses that would be just as irrelevant to the study of the human body.