Premed 101 Forums

Carms Interview Season - Air Travel

DeeDoc

Hello everyone,

Since interview invites have started rolling out, I thought it would be a good idea to price out some airfare... I was speaking with a resident who did the tour last cycle. They gave some good advice on how to not pay 300-500 dollars for each flight if you have multiple interviews that require you to fly. I imagine most people have heard of this, but just for those who haven't, it might be useful.

If you're using WestJet, simply select Multi-City when looking to book flights. It will allow you to book 5 flights. 

From Toronto to Saskatoon... to  Vancouver... to Edmonton... to Calgary... to Winnipeg. All on one ticket, for ~$1000. 

If you book regular one way tickets, it ends up costing over $1700. 

Good luck to everyone this cycle! 

I like how the system is set up to really drive costs up for med students in Carms. I mean med students got so much cash, they don't care about dropping 3k to interview all over gods green creation. Especially after they just dropped 10k on electives.

Urology is the only specialty that does things correctly with one centralized interview day in Toronto for the whole country.

I like how the system is set up to really drive costs up for med students in Carms. I mean med students got so much cash, they don't care about dropping 3k to interview all over gods green creation. Especially after they just dropped 10k on electives.

Urology is the only specialty that does things correctly with one centralized interview day in Toronto for the whole country.

You just hit the nail on the head. How do we change it though?

I wasn't aware that Urology did it that way - very neat!

Cardiology does that too for the MSM R4 process. None of the other subspecialties do, though. 

That is nice if the airline has ideal times for each departure / arrival. I found that wasn't the case for me. It depends on when your interview is, socials, etc. I chose to fly based on departure and arrival times rather than cost. So you might end up flying with both WestJet and Air Canada. 

Hello everyone,

Since interview invites have started rolling out, I thought it would be a good idea to price out some airfare... I was speaking with a resident who did the tour last cycle. They gave some good advice on how to not pay 300-500 dollars for each flight if you have multiple interviews that require you to fly. I imagine most people have heard of this, but just for those who haven't, it might be useful.

If you're using WestJet, simply select Multi-City when looking to book flights. It will allow you to book 5 flights. 

From Toronto to Saskatoon... to  Vancouver... to Edmonton... to Calgary... to Winnipeg. All on one ticket, for ~$1000. 

If you book regular one way tickets, it ends up costing over $1700. 

Good luck to everyone this cycle! 

"Not my problem." - every program director, everywhere, forever

The downsides to a centralized interviewing day are not being able to see the city and the hospital facilities, especially if you didn't do an elective at a particular school.

Sure it does get expensive traveling, but it's definitely a one-of-a-kind experience going from city to city across the country with the same group of people, 

The downsides to a centralized interviewing day are not being able to see the city and the hospital facilities, especially if you didn't do an elective at a particular school.

Sure it does get expensive traveling, but it's definitely a one-of-a-kind experience going from city to city across the country with the same group of people, 

There are a few benefits but not worth the cash in my opinion. Most places you are really interested in you will have done electives at. Odds are strong that you will match to one of them before you would ever match to a place you have no experience at.

As for program directors not giving a sh*t, that's entirely correct. At least the med students learn early that medicine eats its young and very few people give a f*ck about you.

Archived