Premed 101 Forums

Non-Medical Careers After Medicine

I feel like this has been in a topic in the past but I thought I'd bring it up. Does anyone know of careers that people have gone down that is either partly clinical or not clinical at all in medicine? I don't consider research (M.Sc., PhD) as alternative careers because many people do that anyways and balance out their lives. 

I understand some will go into health administration or public health down the line but I'm considering more of public policy, education, business, biomedical engineering, etc. How flexible is our life after completing medicine if we wish to split our time with clinical practice but supplement it with a completely different career? 

U of T offers the only biomedical communications programs in Canada, if you're artistically inclined. It's basically a Msc in biomedical animation, illustration, apps, games, teaching module development, etc., and it's a growing field apparently because of the prominence of e-learning. I've been looking at it as a side job in I ever enter medicine, or as an alternative if I don't.

An MD + residency determines what you can do, not what you can't. You can do whatever you'd like outside your clinical duties provided you make the time for it!

Whether your career allows you enough flexibility to do that depends on your specialty, your location, your practice type, your financial situation, and of course your career goals within medicine. Hard to answer definitively in the abstract.

In Quebec we've had a number of MDs in politics: Pierre-Marc Johnson, Camille Laurin, Yves Bolduc, Gaetan Barrette and our current Premier, Philippe Couillard. I'm sure there were/are others.

Ray Muzyka, computer game whiz and entrepreneur was a physician.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Muzyka

This guy is phenomenal - next level overachiever right there

As mentioned above, management consulting is a pretty clear path for an MD who would rather be in business. Check out McKinsey's site, they explain there how they like to recruit MDs and why. Similar story for Bains and the other one.

Great starting salary but keep in mind I am talking less than 1/3 of what you would make hourly at a walk in clinic. They expect to own your life and fly you to the middle of nowhere for the first few years with no real compensation. But, I have heard they it pays off and I think they give MDs a better path

I feel like this has been in a topic in the past but I thought I'd bring it up. Does anyone know of careers that people have gone down that is either partly clinical or not clinical at all in medicine? I don't consider research (M.Sc., PhD) as alternative careers because many people do that anyways and balance out their lives. 

I understand some will go into health administration or public health down the line but I'm considering more of public policy, education, business, biomedical engineering, etc. How flexible is our life after completing medicine if we wish to split our time with clinical practice but supplement it with a completely different career? 

I think you might want to do a public health residency. That way you can get involved in admin, public policy etc.

Biomedical engineering is very very different from the other things you've listed... If you have an engineering background then its probably a real possibility, otherwise, not very realistic. 

The world is your oyster - what other interests do you have?  It really depends on matching your other interests with your skills, whether they be medical related or not.  If it's strictly salary motivated, I don't see the point.  If you want to try new things, what else are you interested in?

If you like writing at all, you could work as an expert witness in personal injury cases. I'm not sure what the exact path is to get on to the bigger cases, but once there, it is extremely lucrative. And you get to help people who need it. 90% of the time involved is dedicated to writing lengthy reports.

It's a very particular type of writing that takes a long time to master. I would think about paying someone to work on them with me and show me how to do it if it was me. That could speed up the learning process a lot. Master it in a year rather than 5. Once you've mastered it, you will earn more because you'll be faster and you'll enjoy it more.

If you like writing at all, you could work as an expert witness in personal injury cases. I'm not sure what the exact path is to get on to the bigger cases, but once there, it is extremely lucrative. And you get to help people who need it. 90% of the time involved is dedicated to writing lengthy reports.

It's a very particular type of writing that takes a long time to master. I would think about paying someone to work on them with me and show me how to do it if it was me. That could speed up the learning process a lot. Master it in a year rather than 5. Once you've mastered it, you will earn more because you'll be faster and you'll enjoy it more.

I know a number of docs who do medico-legal work on the side, and it does pay pretty well.  The thing is, both prosecution and defense will want experts with clinical credibility, so you would still need to have some sort of medical practice to be attractive as an expert witness.  A good part-time/side gig, though.

I think you might want to do a public health residency. That way you can get involved in admin, public policy etc.

This is likely the plan right now. There is an interest in PHPM but if I want greater involvement in public policy and administration or academia, I might do family medicine (+ MPP/MPH/MPA/MBA or PhD or something else). I know medicine isn't the best career when wanting to address more social issues in the world, but it's worth the contribution to try resolving them. Everyone is saying that doctors have a huge influence in society because how much weight they hold.

The world is your oyster - what other interests do you have?  It really depends on matching your other interests with your skills, whether they be medical related or not.  If it's strictly salary motivated, I don't see the point.  If you want to try new things, what else are you interested in?

Dude, all my interests are in social determinants of health. That's why I'm so torn because I feel like I'm trying to take a medical career down a social path (when other professionals already exist in those realms). I want to address income inequality, homelessness, access to education, substance use and addiction, environment restoration and climate change, access to quality healthcare, immigration reform and support in settlement, global health and international development, etc. I'm basically wanting to be a physician hybrid of Bill Gates and Bernie Sanders (without being a billionaire or a politician, maybe). UGH! Why can't there be a perfect career for me?

Man, I miss those days!

LOL I can see how idealistic and overly optimistic I am about the potential of my career but at least attempting to address population and community issues might play a larger role in society? I can't change or save everything but it's worth a shot ;) individual patient work isn't enough for me

LOL I can see how idealistic and overly optimistic I am about the potential of my career but at least attempting to address population and community issues might play a larger role in society? I can't change or save everything but it's worth a shot ;) individual patient work isn't enough for me

Out of curiosity-why MD and not MPH? 

Archived