Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites & Regrets (2015/2016 App. Cycle)

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

General question about cut-offs, does anyone know why Canada has different GPAs for in vs out of province? I see no other country doing that. USA will have schools which limit spots for out of state and a small number of schools might say no to out of state all together, but most schools have the same requirements for all applicants. Is this really to attract people to stay in province ? or do they think academics in BC are lacking? some sort of comparison to other standardized tests in high school?? just curious

General question about cut-offs, does anyone know why Canada has different GPAs for in vs out of province? I see no other country doing that. USA will have schools which limit spots for out of state and a small number of schools might say no to out of state all together, but most schools have the same requirements for all applicants. Is this really to attract people to stay in province ? or do they think academics in BC are lacking? some sort of comparison to other standardized tests in high school?? just curious

They look for people to stay in the province, and people who grew up IP are most likely to stay. The US technically do that as well, their admissions processes are just more holistic so they don't explicitly state their in state/out of state GPA cutoffs

It's because there's shortages of doctors in some areas, such as rural areas, and the east coast in general, so by taking people from the province they train  more students who are more likely to stay and work in that area. If Dalhousie for example, didn't admit lots of people from NS, there would be an ever worse shortage of family doctors in the province because most people from say, Toronto, would pack up and leave the second they graduate

They look for people to stay in the province, and people who grew up IP are most likely to stay. The US technically do that as well, their admissions processes are just more holistic so they don't explicitly state their in state/out of state GPA cutoffs

Interesting so how about making some incentive system to stay or attend? Like admission seat with link into residency like what NYU is doing now for some seats. You apply and have a guaranteed residency. Sure you might change your mind, but for say an older applicant who knows what they want, it might be a good option. I know many people, myself included who would sign a 10+ year return of service agreement for the chance to study in Canada but are unlucky because we grow up in areas that are not as advantageous to get into med.

Interesting so how about making some incentive system to stay or attend? Like admission seat with link into residency like what NYU is doing now for some seats. You apply and have a guaranteed residency. Sure you might change your mind, but for say an older applicant who knows what they want, it might be a good option. I know many people, myself included who would sign a 10+ year return of service agreement for the chance to study in Canada but are unlucky because we grow up in areas that are not as advantageous to get into med.

Where did you grow up?

Archived