Premed 101 Forums

We Are Some First Year Year Ubc Medicine Students - Ask Us Anything!*

I'm not sure if you're allowed to answer this (no worries if you cant!) but I heard the MMIs are starting to become less about coming up with solutions to ethical situations and more geared towards finding more about you as an individual and your personal characteristics/experiences (kind of like panel interviews in an MMI setting). Any truth to this? My friend told me reading Doing Right, although interesting and worth a read for anyone considering Medicine, wasn't itself particularly helpful during the MMIs because you didn't get that many situational questions. 

For what its worth, I've been to a few interviews in previous years at Alberta, Calgary, and McMaster, and I don't think Doing Right was ever applicable for any of the stations at any of those interviews -- maybe like 1 or 2 max over all of them.

Overall they seem to be pretty aware of how people prepare, and I think Dr Walker even said that they've had to make the questions trickier because the applicant pool keeps getting better.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for offering this! I appreciate your input.

For interviews, I was wondering if they are acting style, where you have to interact with multiple actors and solve a problem or situation, or are they one-on-one questions, where they could technically ask you anything, or are they a combination of both? My approach to preparing for these two different styles would be different, so I was hoping to have an idea which route to go down. If you can't answer this specific question, I understand.

Thanks again!

Thank you for offering this! I appreciate your input.

For interviews, I was wondering if they are acting style, where you have to interact with multiple actors and solve a problem or situation, or are they one-on-one questions, where they could technically ask you anything, or are they a combination of both? My approach to preparing for these two different styles would be different, so I was hoping to have an idea which route to go down. If you can't answer this specific question, I understand.

Thanks again!

Any kind of station is possible. There are definitely one on one and could be multiple acting stations.

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on how the MD/PhD panel interview works? What would be the best way to prepare for it? Thanks!

My MD/PhD friends told me that it's like a regular PhD interview - so you would wanna do some research on the lab/supervisor you're applying for and have some ideas for that - I think it's much more "normal interview" questions than the MMI. None of the MD/PhDs I know have a Premed101 account to give you advice, unfortunately.

Hey guys,

Just wondering in med school do  you guys have time to take electives in other faculties? I.e with the current curriculum is there room for electives from other departments such as math, philosophy, econ, etc.?

Or is there a summer break where you can take course in other faculties

Thanks!

Not during the curriculum in a formal manner, but if you wanted to learn extra stuff outside of class...then go for it.

Yep there's a handful of people taking elective courses. It's not common though. It is a heavy course load, afterall. However, there is indeed the summer after 1st year where you can take an elective, which can count towards (some) credit for FLEX, one of our courses. There are special conditions you must satisfy in order to get credit for FLEX that way - but either way, you can definitely use the summer to take extra courses!

Thanks so much for doing this. Reading all your responses has been so helpful.

My question is, do you have any tips for interviews? I got a Below Average score last year, even though I didn't feel nervous or too surprised by the questions. I'm wondering if there's something I missed (...or I just grossly misjudged my performance!)

Honestly - my best advice is just practice, practice, and practice. The key is to practice all types of different questions. A lot of people's down fall is that they only prepare for ethical questions, ie by reading Doing Right and looking for ethical dilemma questions to answer. But you need to prepare for personal questions too. Most of all, learn how to properly speak in an MMI. It sounds intuitive, but not a lot of people can be well organized while under pressure. Therefore, the best skill (also the most transferrable across different schools' interviews) is to learn how to structure your answer in a cohesive way. How to sound confident, use personal experiences to humanize the answer, and to organize your answer so it's easy for the interviewer to follow along.

Tl;dr: Someone who is can't follow along while you talk isn't gonna score you well, so practice how to talk concisely and in an organized fashion.

What opportunities for research are offered to non-MD/PhD students?

What sort of fellowships are advertised for medical school students and residency fellows?

Do you have any access to statistics showing where MDs go after graduation and entering residency (i.e. what specialty?)

What sort of fellowships are advertised for medical school students and residency fellows?

Do you have any access to statistics showing where MDs go after graduation and entering residency (i.e. what specialty?)

I can answer your 3rd question.

The fall issue of the UBC Medicine magazine each year (publicly available, try Google it) contains a detailed list of all UBC MD graduates with the specialty/institution they are matched to.  Overall, the match statistics are very similar across all Canadian medical schools, with normal year-to-year fluctuations.  The medical school you attend, in Canada, is not a limiting factor of your specialty aspiration.

For question one - there's a lot of research opportunity for MD students. In fact, we have a mandatory FLEX course now, which you can fulfill by doing research. They allot a time block of 6 weeks in the spring for us to complete a project that furthers are knowledge in the medical field. Either through research, extra classwork, or other types of experiences. So we're really exposed to research should you choose to go that route.

Your second question is a little beyond scope, but...

Fellowships generally follow residency programs. So, once you graduate medical school and have begun residency depending upon the specialty you are in a variety of fellowship programs are available.

I'm not going to post an exhaustive list of fellowship programs offered through UBC because it would be long and I don't know them all, but I will list a few of them:

1. Ortho- foot and ankle, sports med

2. Internal- endo, ID, GIM, GI, Resp, Cardiology, nephro, ICU

3. Family- sports med, maternity, palliative, Emerg, anesthesia

The list goes on and on. I'm sure if you google UBC Medicine Fellowships you will find something a bit more complete.

Do you have any advice on books to read besides "Doing it Right"

For the MMI?

Tough to say... I didn't read doing right and it seems to be a 50-50 split on the forum.

It's tough to say what to read... The whole process is designed so that reading a particular book isn't supposed to make you an ideal candidate.

In terms of actual preparation for the MMI I would suggest going through scenarios that might come up: take two minutes and come up with an opinion, discuss the pros and cons and then synthesize.

Google biomedical ethics, nonmaleficense, beneficence, justice and autonomy as these are topics that can come up once in medicine but are unlikely to directly be discussed in the MMI.

Hi to all of you who are reading this:

I am just curious to ask for those of you who applied this cycle or even past cycles and did not make it to the interview/ or were rejected post MMI, what did you end up doing for  the remainder of your time? I understand viable options would be to increase commitment for  volunteering opportunities, conducting research in the lab, and other endeavours one is passionate about. I also wonder if people  decide to take extra classes/ courses to bring up their GPA? To my understanding, many people who have completed their degrees and receive their first regret, tend not to continue more on taking units and instead invest time into the non-academic endeavours. Could someone explain to me whether I am making a correct assumption from what I have read on this forum? The general consensus on this forum is that UBC can be very vague about their method of calculating the NAQ and while most people benefit from continuing long-term enedaevours, some (at least some of my friends who got regrets this cycle) saw barely much change to their NAQ. Could there be a possible explanation to that? Also based on what I have read it seems  that for people who are in the low 80s range, one possibility is to just finish their undergrads and apply again or take time off taking classes either as an unclassified student (which UBC on their website mentions is not very helpful) or others decide to pursue another degree (either graduate or bachelors). Statistically speaking, taking a year extra of classes can lead to about a 2-3 % increase in the GPA. So for example, do you think for someone with an 82-83% who takes time off and brings that GPA to a 84-85% range is a worthy pursuit? I am really curious to hear your thoughts on these questions. I apologize for writing this lengthy paragraph but I remain very curious on what you think about these. 

Also, for those of you who got past both phases (the pre-interview and the post-interview) and are currently in medical school, what did you end up doing for the summer prior you started medical school? 

I am really curious to hear both sides of the story. 

Note: I am applying for my first time in the next cycle and was curious what people have done. 

Most of my friends who didn't get in either went to pursue a second degree (not just another year of random classes) or took the time off to work, volunteer, etc. I see advantages to both. If I had to choose, I would have pursued a second degree in a field completely different from my first one because it seemed legitimately interesting. Whatever you choose, make sure you like it- a year is a long time to be doing something that's only for your application. Also, if you do decide to study more, remember that the admissions committee doesn't really look at the grades of that year. For example if you took courses between september 2016-april 2017 and applied during that time, your grades wouldn't be considered.

I took my summer off. Volunteered a bit here and there, but for the most part I just relaxed.

Archived