Premed 101 Forums

We Are Some First Year Year Ubc Medicine Students - Ask Us Anything!*

1 minute ago, TARS said:

It seems unreasonable and unlikely that UBC will revoke admission this late into the cycle as long as proof of graduation is documented sometime soon... They'd go through more trouble gathering paperwork from a new student than they would just the proof of graduation from you lol

If an unfavorable outcome does happen, you can try appealing through the faculty first (unless this is already considered an appeal).  Adcom will review the circumstances and provide you with a response.  If faculty appeal is denied, you can appeal through UBC Senate Vancouver via Admissions Committee.  I've done and granted a few appeals for regular ubc admissions when a student's offer is revoked because of extenuating circumstances, they're usually reasonable especially if it's a technical error not on your part. Not sure how it'll work in this case, because the number of seats in med is pretty concrete and they can't just add another student if your spot is given away.  If it does comes to appeals, make sure you do it ASAP because it takes time, you have to schedule hearings, etc and school is starting pretty soon. Didn't want to scare you, doubt you'll come down this path, but just something for your peace of mind if you do come across this.

Thank you for the great suggestion, TARS! I will note these things down and pray for the best in the mean time. I appreciate the help!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/1/2017 at 10:08 PM, catdaddy said:

Thank you for the great suggestion, TARS! I will note these things down and pray for the best in the mean time. I appreciate the help!

I am so deeply relieved to say it is all okay and they accepted my letter of completion. For anyone who may be perusing this in the future, please send the letter of completion in a sealed and endorsed envelope from the issuer! 

Which laptop should I choose? Macbook Pro 2017 or Windows Surface Pro 2017?

The only plus I see in the Windows Surface Pro is the touch-screen to draw annotate for diagrams (maybe histology or anatomy)....maybe use the tablet to read textbooks or PDFs. How often is drawing or annotating needed? If it's not often...I may stick with the Macbook line since I've invested in the ecosystem already.

I prefer the larger 13" macbook screen; retina display; sturdy clam-shell build, simplicity, force touch pad; and looks...but I heard iOS isn't always the best for some programs needed???

Could someone shed some light on this clueless soul????

1 hour ago, UBC_GRAD said:

I was just wondering if I should buy the stethoscope now or if there is going to be a discount or group order when school starts? Also, where do medical students usually buy stethoscope or other required medical equipment?

No need to get it now, nor any other equipment. You can wait a few weeks.

https://www.mystethoscope.ca/ is where most of my class got it. We didn't have any group orders, other than what you informally do with your friends (to get the free shipping minimum 250$ order).

You wont really need to buy anything else. The clin exams rooms usually have everything you'd need. You'll probably come across a free penlight from lunches or conferences etc. 

9 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

No need to get it now, nor any other equipment. You can wait a few weeks.

https://www.mystethoscope.ca/ is where most of my class got it. We didn't have any group orders, other than what you informally do with your friends (to get the free shipping minimum 250$ order).

You wont really need to buy anything else. The clin exams rooms usually have everything you'd need. You'll probably come across a free penlight from lunches or conferences etc. 

Archived