Premed 101 Forums

We Are Some First Year Year Ubc Medicine Students - Ask Us Anything!*

Where do classes take place in first year? How many days per week at UBC vs VGH?

Pretty much all your lectures will be in the LSC building on campus.  Lectures are Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  On either Tuesday or Thursdays, you will have Family Practice visits (you will be assigned a preceptor) and on the other day, you will have Clinical Experiences at VGH.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the dress code for family practice and VGH visits? Would it be correct to say that we don't have to dress in business/business casual for lectures?

How you dress for lectures doesn't matter.  For family practice and VGH visits, wearing a dress shirt and pants is usually enough unless your preceptor specifically asks that you wear a white coat as well.

For those of us who will not be in Vancouver before classes start, is it possible to do the immunizations review during the first couple weeks of classes? It looks like we should book the appointments soon but the schedule for MEDD 410 is available in early July. Any advice?

For those of us who will not be in Vancouver before classes start, is it possible to do the immunizations review during the first couple weeks of classes? It looks like we should book the appointments soon but the schedule for MEDD 410 is available in early July. Any advice?

Yes, perfectly fine to do in beggining of term.

Can anybody comment on how the move from VFMP to IMP/SMP/NMP usually works logistics-wise?

Finish term, pack your stuff up for winter break and then go move to your distributed site on your own accord, being ready to go for early january term 2 orientation.  Finding housing and moving is all on you.

Finish term, pack your stuff up for winter break and then go move to your distributed site on your own accord, being ready to go for early january term 2 orientation. Finding housing and moving is all on you.

Unless they've changed the policy you also get a moving stipend to help with costs...

NMP would receive 1k. Imp and smp would receive 500.00.

Unless they've changed that in recent years...

Unless they've changed the policy you also get a moving stipend to help with costs...

Wasn't aware of that, I'll let one of them chime in if thats still the case. Wow though, that would be awfully nice -60k in funding :o

Gosh I hope that is still true!

Not really necessary for the first 2 years, unless you are unlucky and end up in langley for your Family practice preceptorship...even then, it is only once a week, and not for the whole term etc. Usually there would be more than one student as well, so you could hopefully care pool.

It is nice having a car though, so that you can escape the city on a whim and go hiking or on little road trips. Though you can always rely on friends with cars for this, its nice having the flexibility - and cuts down on transit time etc.  Of course, you can also use car share programs like MODO, Car2GO and EVO etc for this too! But again you have to find a car etc.  

If you feel like you can afford it and are fine with parking at your accomodations(don't forget about parking!), then go for it. But if you feel your stretching yourself out by making the purchase, then hold off until after term 1 and re-evaluate to see if you really do want it or not (because you don't "need" it, but it can be a nice luxury to have!). 

Also if you're reasonable enough you can get a mid-range car (think hyundia, kia, etc) relatively new 2014/2015 for 15K, with most of the 5 year warranties still in tact. No need to get a clunker for <10K, but at the same time no need to spend too much on "brand name" cars >20K.

Just bumping my question cause it landed at the bottom of a page :)

I'm not in IMP, but I used to live in Victoria. Victoria's a small time so I would say it would be along the same line as VFMP, nice, but not necessary. It would be a lot cheaper to keep a car in Victoria, however. Insurance would be cheaper and less parking fees.

Just a chime in, I would suggest not buying a car with your LOC (it's still got interest!) until you know (if) you would benefit from it significantly. Wait a few months to evaluate. I find that first two years is not necessary, some people want it, so they got it. But I would definitely recommend waiting to work with the schedule for a bit of time before making such a big investment.

Hi Folks,

This has sort of been answered already but hoping for maybe some more guidance on this.

I am not a science major and so am a bit daunted by the first semester. Hoping you can give some idea of what I should brush up on during this summer before MEDD410 and maybe some specific resources if you know of any.

Thanks for doing this AUA.

I don't know any resources that you can go to, but if you're going to spend the summer reviewing science, I would suggest focusing on normal physiology and biochemistry. I find that in the curriculum, those are the subjects they assume you have background in and don't bother reviewing in depth. So if you have a good foundation in those, it will make studying pathophysiology and disease models easier when you're in MEDD 411.

• 2 weeks later...

How many textbooks did you use during your first two years and approximately how much were they

I think it varies for each student. How you want to use textbooks depends on your learning style and how much you are willing to spend.

But typically you will be able to obtain electronic copies of most textbooks you will ever need (ask us how during the orientation week). People tend to spend on paper copies only if they are more comfortable with reading hard copies.

The only textbooks I purchased were Gray's Anatomy for Student and its flashcards. After a year of studying, I did not really find Gray's Anatomy very helpful in the printed format. A lot of times, it was so difficult for me to find any information I need, so that I actually have to search in the PDF file. But I found the flashcards quite helpful. With that said, a lot of people did perfectly fine without buying an Anatomy textbook or flashcards.

I also know another student who bought a textbook for OSCE (physical exams), some who bought Toronto Notes. But many people I knew used electronic books only.

A typical medical textbook costs between $40 to $200.

How many textbooks did you use during your first two years and approximately how much were they

I didn't buy a single book in my first year.  You will find that electronic copies of the relevant textbook will find its way to you (people in class share them so just look out for them!)

Archived