Premed 101 Forums

Unchanging Gpa

It is clear to me just by comparing interim stats for med 2019 vs interim stats for med 2020 there are some notable differences.

The most surprising is the # of overall applicants and how the # of IP applicants actually dropped. I would have assumed there would be another big jump in applicants just as the trend has been since 2005

The number of applicants did not significantly decrease if you look at the numbers closely. I think it definitely has to do with the new MCAT. Perhaps, new people who were hoping to apply to UBC didn't meet the minimum score on the psych section unfortunately --> this could've limited a number of people from applying.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have the formula for calculating AQ? 

Sorry, new to the boards. Planning on applying in '18 and wrapping my head around everything.

It changes every year based on the applicant pool, and if the admissions decides to change the calculation weighting all together. It has been stable the last 2 cycles, and can be found by searching in the accepted/waitlisted/rejected threads. 

The upcoming cycle may be different, but you can at least get a base line from the previous cycle.

Does anyone have the formula for calculating AQ? 

Sorry, new to the boards. Planning on applying in '18 and wrapping my head around everything.

It is my understanding that UBC admissions applies a linear fit to the range of GPA towards a mean AQ score of ~25-26. In this manner, the equation can be expected to change slightly or significantly from year to year, dependent on the competitiveness of the applicant pool. See above posts or search the forum for previous year's AQ formula. :) 

Archived