Premed 101 Forums

Very Shocking

rupchatt

Thanks for sharing. Just thinking to myself here... when it comes down to it what this article is implying is that one shouldn't have to have their health condition worsen in order to get the best treatment (i.e. a cure). But actually I think this happens a lot in medicine - for example I'm thinking organ transplants - where the waiting list is prioritized based on severity/stage of disease progression. It's heartbreaking nonetheless, and we often don't think of the price attached to treatment or the fact that there are limited resources.

It would cost the government billions of $ to pay for the hepaticis c medication for all 400,000 the people in Canada. The government said they do not have money so they would wait till the patients get fibrosis (advanced stage) before they cover them for medication.

Meanwhile the government spent 1.2 billion $ on refugees from Syria that have nothing to do with Canada. That money could have saved the livers of many Canadians. 

I find this hypocrisy, unfair and disturbing.....

It would cost the government billions of $ to pay for the hepaticis c medication for all 400,000 the people in Canada. The government said they do not have money so they would wait till the patients get fibrosis (advanced stage) before they cover them for medication.

Meanwhile the government spent 1.2 billion $ on refugees from Syria that have nothing to do with Canada. That money could have saved the livers of many Canadians. 

I find this hypocrisy, unfair and disturbing.....

the lower range of the cost is $55,000 per person for the treatment. To treat all 400,000, it'd cost $22,000,000,000. That's 22 trillion.  That's more than 10 times the GDP of Canada. It's affordable. 

I am really upset that this happened to these patients. If i was a politician things would be better.

Honestly, I don't think you are. I think you made this thread to make inflammatory comments about refugees after your more obvious thread got deleted.

Trolls gonna troll I guess.

I am simply stating my opinion at the state of affairs going on in regards to these patients.

If you think this opinion is wrong. You can respectfully disagree and let me know why you disagree. I am certainly not attempting to create any inflammation and no one has to agree with my position.

Peace

Refugees have nothing to do with this. It is nice that researchers are finding cures for diseases, but why are the refugees to blame if the medications are expensive?

I am not blaming refugees. I am highlighting the governments hypocrisy - one time they say they do not have money to pay for the medications that would lead to the death of 22,000 Canadian patients on the other hand they spend 1.2 billion on 25,000 refugees. I am not attempting to blame refugees on any aspect. I want to clarify that. I have nothing against those people.

Unfortunately, the economics is a game of balance. $1.2 billion over 6 years is a balance. Treating people with further progressed liver fibrosis is also a balance. The unjust aspect of the situations is the cost associated with the drug and the inhumane conditions experienced by the refugees coming to Canada in their home countries. Putting all money in one pot is not very wise. Advocate for the drug to be cheaper rather than blaming the government for the need to balance out many unjust situations with the limited money they have to work with.

I find it ironic that most of the time this discussion would go something like "whine whine whine, why should my tax dollars go to druggies who did this to themselves, blah blah blah". But apparently it's okay when the alternative is refugees.

I think the trend is to find whatever group of people the government is spending money on, most distant/different from themselves, and blame everything on them. It's easier to take something away from people you can't relate to and don't come into contact with, like with people on drugs who are not in the same circles as university students.

Personally, the questioning spending on refugees is really starting to bug me though. I don't know how people can say that leaving human beings in a country where virtual genocide is taking place is fine.

They'll always find some group who 'doesn't deserve help'. But I don't see how people an say that about refugees escaping mass shootings and terror

I think the trend is to find whatever group of people the government is spending money on, most distant/different from themselves, and blame everything on them. It's easier to take something away from people you can't relate to and don't come into contact with, like with people on drugs who are not in the same circles as university students.

Personally, the questioning spending on refugees is really starting to bug me though. I don't know how people can say that leaving human beings in a country where virtual genocide is taking place is fine.

They'll always find some group who 'doesn't deserve help'. But I don't see how people an say that about refugees escaping mass shootings and terror

To me, it comes down to the $6 a year thing. If someone won't give up 2 coffees a year to save/better 25 000 lives then I don't know what to say.

I am not blaming refugees. I am highlighting the governments hypocrisy - one time they say they do not have money to pay for the medications that would lead to the death of 22,000 Canadian patients on the other hand they spend 1.2 billion on 25,000 refugees. I am not attempting to blame refugees on any aspect. I want to clarify that. I have nothing against those people.

The thing is if you set a precedent by funding one drug, you will be expected to fund other drugs. The other thing is, these treatments are cures however we currently still have ways to manage Hep C in patients. Its tough but its not absolutely ridiculous that they decided to spend 1.2 billion on refugees. 

But if we are being honest here, it makes the government look a lot better to be saving refugees (which is a very visible effort) than to fund Hep C drugs, which will probably won't make as much of a PR splash. 

I think that science has shown that people who vote liberal do not have a large enough amygdala meanwhile their pre frontal cortex expands, takes over, and does all of the important decision making.

It's terrifying isn't it?

Do you suggest that one can only define emotion to helping people in war torn countries? The moral and legal responsibility of the government is to save its own people (Canadians) before helping other countries...

I find it cruel, unfathomable - (there is a lack of both emotion and decision making) on the liberal governments part to neglect the lives of 22,000 Canadians on the verge of death and spending 1.2 billion $ on refugee resettlement.

The refugees were also provided dental care services (No Canadians get this), priority access to health care (no Canadian gets it), given hotel rooms (no Canadian immigrant gets it). This is enquity. Everyone should have same access to care.

I am not against helping countries in need or refugees but Canada is not in a position to help. This is similar to letting your siblings die in the street of hunger while adopting other children from war torn countries then claiming how nice and altruistic you are. ..

Archived