Premed 101 Forums

Help! I Need Help Deciding What Program To Go To!

I know I'm probably going to sound like a naïve grade 12 student, but I need help! I'm really interested in fashion, but at the same time I'm equally as interested in science. I've wanted to become a fashion designer for as long as I can remember, I've been designing/sketching/drawing clothes since grade 8. Last year I discovered that I was also passionate about sciences, so I started looking into careers with science. I've also been looking at science programs. At the beginning of this year I realized I also want to go into dentistry. I've looked at what's on the DAT/Dental school prerequisites. I've also talked to my dentist about her experience with dental school, her experiences with being a dentist, and if she would go back to change her career if she could (she said no she wouldn't). My grades aren't bad, here are my grade 12 term 1 grades:

English 12 - 90%

Pre-Calculus 12 - 90% (I completed this in summer school to lighten my course load for the year)

Calculus 12 - 91%

Biology 12 - 97%

Chemistry 12 - 93%

Physics 12 - 86%

IB Visual Arts 12 HL - predicted 6 (this is an approved grade 12 course for universities)

Here are my extracurricular activities-

-I've been a member of my schools student council from grade 10-12

-I've played on my schools volleyball team from grade 8-12

-I've attended a yoga class starting this summer

-I volunteer in my dentists clinic, I started this summer. She offered me the stop to see how working in a dentists office is like, and I love it because I get to see all the cool stuff she does. I think this is called shadowing, but I'm not sure

-I've been playing on my schools soccer team from grade 8-11, and I'm planning on playing again this year 

I've played on a club soccer team from kindergarten-grade 11, but I had to unfortunately stop because of lack of time

I'm aware I can major in fashion/art while completing the prerequisites for dental school, and I will be able to write the DAT, but I'm indecisive. I think being a bio/biochemistry major will be better preparation for dental school, but at the same time I love fashion as much as I love science. Are there any programs you recommend? I live in the lower mainland of BC, but I'm open to going to other places in Canada. Also do you guys have any suggestions as the what I should do? Any advice is appreciated. 

Here's my two cents:

First of all: great job on your high school grades!

Having said that, the only grades that will be taken into account will be the grades you get in undergrad.

My advice would be to take go into a program that you really enjoy and fulfill the pre-reqs along the way. The reasoning is: 1) you'll enjoy it more, and chances are you'll end up with a better GPA than if you take a different degree that you're not that interested in. 2) A biochem degree won't help you much/at all in dental school (at least from my experience in dental school) and 3) admission into dental school is competitive, so you're better off in getting a degree in something you really enjoy in case dentistry doesn't work out.

Regarding everything else (soccer, student council, etc.): dental schools won't really look at that, they might be useful to talk about in an interview for dental school if the situation applies (once again, this is from my experience. Doing all of these extracurriculars definitely won't hurt you, I'm just saying don't bank on it). There might be Dental schools that do take into account everything you mentioned. I'm just not aware (although I think McGill might). So hopefully someone else can clarify that for you.

Good luck!

thank you! yeah I'm aware only my undergraduate grades are involved in the decision making process for dental school. I also know my high school ec's don't matter to dental school, but some competitive undergrad programs want essays about your ec's. I will take everything you said into consideration and try to narrow down my choices for undergrad. 

Well done. :P The advantage you bring from h.s. is enthusiasm and a strong work ethic - at this stage of the game, this is far, far more important than your grades. Why not look into a fine arts program whereby you can also do any prerequisites required for dentistry. This way you can continue to explore design. I agree with the first poster.

Good luck! ​

With your grades you can get into almost any program in Canada, but be careful with what you pick. I had similar grades to yours exiting high school and on a whim chose an honours physiology program, because I figured that it would be related to dentistry and I'll learn something. Now I'm in 2nd year and although my GPA is fairly competitive (3.85), I wish I had just gone into a general science degree, did my prereqs and had fun with some easier arts courses. Take into account that I was 100% set on dentistry as soon as I left high school, and I want to get in fast so I can enjoy what I'm studying. I don't know where you are exactly with your dental plans, but dentistry in Canada is very competitive and without a very high GPA it's not that easy to get in. Regardless of what you choose, you will most likely do well; it's just a matter of how much effort you want to put in, as opposed to maybe spending some time on more shadowing, extracurriculars etc. 

Best of luck!

If you are serious in wanting to get into med/dent school after your bachelors, think about applying and attending universities that would help you increase your chances of getting in by becoming an "in province applicant".

Aside from UT and UWO (I'm speaking of dentistry program, not sure about med program), all other dentistry programs in Canada divide the applicants into "in province" or "out of province" applicants. In province applicants can get accepted into the program with slightly lower grades than out of province applicants because the university of that province wants to cater to the students of that province, since they pay their provincial taxes etc. 

For example, if you are currently a BC resident and decide to attend UBC for undergrad, then when you apply to dentistry you can apply to UBC (easiest to get into, you will be considered in-province), UT & UWO (they rank all applicants equally). All other canadian dental schools you apply to will consider you as "out of province" applicant, and there you will be competing with other out of province applicants for a limited amount of spots in the program.

But, if you are currently a BC resident and decide to attend UofA for example, then when you apply you will be considered "in province" for both UBC and UofA, and won't need to have an insane GPA to be considered as a out of province student. This increases your chances of getting into a dental school.

If you are serious in wanting to get into med/dent school after your bachelors, think about applying and attending universities that would help you increase your chances of getting in by becoming an "in province applicant".

Aside from UT and UWO (I'm speaking of dentistry program, not sure about med program), all other dentistry programs in Canada divide the applicants into "in province" or "out of province" applicants. In province applicants can get accepted into the program with slightly lower grades than out of province applicants because the university of that province wants to cater to the students of that province, since they pay their provincial taxes etc. 

For example, if you are currently a BC resident and decide to attend UBC for undergrad, then when you apply to dentistry you can apply to UBC (easiest to get into, you will be considered in-province), UT & UWO (they rank all applicants equally). All other canadian dental schools you apply to will consider you as "out of province" applicant, and there you will be competing with other out of province applicants for a limited amount of spots in the program.

But, if you are currently a BC resident and decide to attend UofA for example, then when you apply you will be considered "in province" for both UBC and UofA, and won't need to have an insane GPA to be considered as a out of province student. This increases your chances of getting into a dental school.

U of T only accepts %10 OOP students. UWO on the other hand has no preference for in-province students.

Archived