Premed 101 Forums

Indie/hipster Study Tips

Hey everyone, I thought It’d be interesting to make a thread for sharing study tips that aren’t well known or popular (yet) haha. Or even just to share little quirky or creative things that you think have helped you do well in school.

Here are a few of mine:

1.) Audio recording my notes in weird, dramatic voices and then playing them back to myself at 2X speed. Especially great for those days when I’m having trouble focusing. Also great for listening to while commuting to school, or running errands.

2.) Uniball vision needle pens. When I had to write a 3 hour essay exam, at the end of 2 hours everyone around me was on the verge of carpel tunnel, but these pens kept me going til the very end and saved my wrist. I use them all the time now to take notes fast.

3.) A single post-it note on my mirror that says “100%.” I know this sounds lame but as soon as I started doing this, I actually started getting 100% on major evaluations. I have a theory that when you casually see it everyday next to the image of yourself, it subconsciously affects you.  

4.) Standing desks. Makes studying for long hours more bearable, saves your posture, and probably prevents blood clots.

1) All things stationery and office supplies: paper mate flair pens (black & coloured), Sharpie ultra fine point markers, washi tape, post-it notes in various sizes and colours

2) Wireless noise cancelling headphones! And either Spotify or Apple music playlists (All the Feels, Smart is the New Sexy). RIP Songza  :(

3) Respecting when I'm losing focus and taking a break as opposed to powering through and wasting my time. I will take that time to walk the dog and get some fresh air.

4) SelfControl app is a life saver! It's easy to procrastinate with twitter or Facebook. This app prevents me from doing that.

:)

Taking the dog for a walk, especially in the forest is so good for resetting and clearing the mind of drama!

Here’s another one: I like to write my notes with big headings and in different colours/highlights because it makes every page look different. Then on the test I can recall info from my notes better because I can visualize what the pages looked like (which I couldn’t do if all pages looked the same). ^_^

Coffeeisthebest, nice signature! Here’s another Will Smith quote that has really stuck with me, “If you’re not making someone else’s life better then you’re wasting your time.”

Which reminds me of another tip: Try to volunteer or work part-time, I’ve been told that students who work or volunteer (with reasonable hours) actually do better in school because they gain better time management skills.

on top of the amazing advice above..

if Anki isn't your thing, try quizlet.  works like a charm and works on my iphone when im on the bus! You can put your study set as private by the way.

I also add to the my desktop background the semester's calendar, with all the test dates, it helps me stay on task and plan my study time. When exams schedule comes up, I add that as well..  

Archived