Premed 101 Forums

Which Placement To Choose: Paid, Volunteer, Or Both?

pbjtime

Hey guys! I'm applying for the Keenan summer research program at St. Michael's, and their application form asks for which type of placement I am looking for (paid, volunteer, or both).

As a first year with no research experience, which option would you recommend me to choose? I would definitely prefer a paid position (have to chip away at those student loans) but I'm worried that if I choose the "paid" option I'll have a lesser chance of getting in (due to lack of experience).

Well can you afford to pay your tuition and rent if you aren't working full time in the summer? I would never ever be able to take a fully unpaid job as a student, but this may not be your situation. 

I'm not sure how someone else can answer this for you. Do YOU want a paid, volunteer, or either job???

In my experience, this is up to the PI. It's best for you to apply to the program with a specific supervisor who is already willing to accept you as a summer student. The applications for the hospital programs (SickKids, Mount Sinai, St. Michael's, etc.) are just formalities for administrative purposes. I suggest emailing supervisors at St. Michael's directly and inform them of your intent to apply for this program and ask if they have funding to hire you as a paid student.

I guess there are two issues raised with your thread. 

1. Would it be easier to get a position with St. Michael's if you chose volunteer over paid?
* Unfortunately I am not familiar with the program and cannot comment. Maybe someone else can.

2. Would a volunteer or paid research position look better on your application. 
* I would almost always say that paid experiences are generally better than volunteer. Although they are evaluated a little differently, the fact that you are good enough to be paid to do the job says a lot about your abilities and qualities. An example would be being paid for running a fundraiser. It is very very common to find a premed who is volunteering their time to organize a fundraiser. However, having a premed who is being paid to run a fundraiser is very unique and will look great on an application because it shows how skilled you are in that field. 

Thats just what I think. 

Cheer!

• 1 month later...

Archived