Premed 101 Forums

Mcmaster Interview Discussion 2016

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't have a pleasant experience at Mac. I had cold interviewers. But everyone in my rotation group felt that they were okay. So I'm thinking it must have been me :/ also, they ran out of plates at lunch. Poor planning D:

Were you group 7 by chance?

Thank you to the amazing student hosts and staff for being so kind and hospitable yesterday.  It was a stressful day but you made it easier!  I also found the assessors to be much less "stone-faced" than expected, and even friendly.  Grateful for that :)

I second this sentiment! The hosts were very kind and worked hard to ensure everyone felt at ease. Thank you!

Premeds are so uptight and edgy especially around this time.  Anyhow, the answer is yes, and this was confirmed by the mac admissions office.

If mac is truly concerned about confidentiality agreements not being respected, then it would make sense to use different scenarios for different interview dates. 

We all know that deep down, its only human for applicants to go home and discuss the stations with family, friends etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I was telling a funny/embarrassing story at one station, and the interviewer chuckled.  Probably depends on context dude.  If they're laughing while you talk about why you want to go to Mac it's probably worse than if they're laughing while you tell a joke.

For anyone else who interviewed on April 9th... did anyone else hear the two people that were in one room (you know the one) laughing through the door during the time you were given to read the prompt before going in?

It really psyched me out and felt super inappropriate because they were essentially laughing at how it went for the person who was in there before me.

...I feel confident they were also laughing after I left.

For anyone else who interviewed on April 9th... did anyone else hear the two people that were in one room (you know the one) laughing through the door during the time you were given to read the prompt before going in?

It really psyched me out and felt super inappropriate because they were essentially laughing at how it went for the person who was in there before me.

...I feel confident they were also laughing after I left.

I don't know that they were necessarily laughing at the person who finished immediately before me, but yes I also could hear them laughing as I stood outside reading the prompt at that station (on a different interview date than yours).

I'm sure they were just trying to enjoy what must have been a long and exhausting day for themselves as well and I wouldn't necessarily attribute malice to it without further information (in my experience, although I cannot speak for yours).

I mean, I wasn't attributing malice or anything. Obviously they were having some fun (it was the station, if any, to have some fun with as the actor), but as soon as the scenario started and I felt the "oh shit this one's a doozy" dread sink in, I was then immediately thinking "Oh, I get it now... they will also be laughing when I leave", which meant I couldn't really concentrate fully on the session because I was already thinking about that... and then everything I said or did felt inherently stupid as a result.

It's just hard to see a rattled looking person walk out of the room before you, hear two people laughing really loudly (more than enough to be heard through a door), and not end up thinking the same will happen when you leave. It was the only one I really struggled with, and I would say it was 30% because the scenario was tough and 70% because of the laughter.

Edit: Also, to be clear I'm not complaining or anything. I really enjoyed the process as a whole, I was just wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing.

I mean, I wasn't attributing malice or anything. Obviously they were having some fun (it was the station, if any, to have some fun with as the actor), but as soon as the scenario started and I felt the "oh shit this one's a doozy" dread sink in, I was then immediately thinking "Oh, I get it now... they will also be laughing when I leave", which meant I couldn't really concentrate fully on the session because I was already thinking about that... and then everything I said or did felt inherently stupid as a result.

It's just hard to see a rattled looking person walk out of the room before you, hear two people laughing really loudly (more than enough to be heard through a door), and not end up thinking the same will happen when you leave. It was the only one I really struggled with, and I would say it was 30% because the scenario was tough and 70% because of the laughter.

Honestly try not to be so hard on yourself. 

I appreciate your honesty and I can assure you that I've shared many of the same thoughts and feelings throughout this process at multiple interviews.

I can definitely relate on the feeling of everything you're saying or doing feeling inherently stupid or like everything you're saying is "bull&*%@" when you're honestly trying to answer a question as best as you can.

The interview process can definitely be a bit of a "head game" and will almost certainly provide a roller-coaster of emotions, if not a collection of negative thoughts/self-doubt.

Go out with friends and do things for the sake of having fun and nothing else--take your mind off of all of this and no matter what comes of decision day, you'll end up a more experienced, mature and better person.

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived