Premed 101 Forums

Mcmaster Interview Discussion 2016

Can any of the folk who were offered an interview tell which the latest date to confirm is from their email text?

"It is crucial that we know that you plan to attend this interview as scheduled. Therefore, you must provide us with a reply in writing, using the Response Form (found at the link above) by February 5, 2016, indicating whether you will or will not be attending."

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.afmc.ca/sites/default/files/documents/en/Publications/AdmissionsBook2016-Final-EN.pdf

I stumbled upon this, and judging by the statistics from last year, 320 people were offered admission, either through direct acceptance, or waitlist to acceptance. It shows that 116 people declined their spot, so it looks like there is a lot of waitlist movement, which is encouraging. So really, chances are quite good now! 

https://www.afmc.ca/sites/default/files/documents/en/Publications/AdmissionsBook2016-Final-EN.pdf

I stumbled upon this, and judging by the statistics from last year, 320 people were offered admission, either through direct acceptance, or waitlist to acceptance. It shows that 116 people declined their spot, so it looks like there is a lot of waitlist movement, which is encouraging. So really, chances are quite good now!

Wow! The Ontario schools hadn't released that info for the last 6-ish years, and I see a couple of them still haven't, but that's pretty cool.

So chances of receiving an offer at Mac once you have an interview probably hover closer to 60% then. That's pretty encouraging. :)

I have a question!

During the MMI, am I required to do my monologue? Or are the interviewers allowed to ask a certain set of questions to lead the interviewee during the station?

Just from my experience last year, I monologued for the first 3 minutes or so, then, if there's anything I didn't cover that they were looking for, I was prompted. If I covered all of it, they said as much and that was it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this, good to know that most schools make offers to nearly 50% of interviewees.

Thanks for sharing this, good to know that most schools make offers to nearly 50% of interviewees.

I would be hesitant to trust those numbers. I find it very hard to believe that Mac and Queens each ended up sending out 321 and 197 offers respectively.

Also if you were to count those who took themselves off the wait list in favour of another school before they were given an offer, it seems as they would have had to go very deep down the wait list.

I would be hesitant to trust those numbers. I find it very hard to believe that Mac and Queens each ended up sending out 321 and 197 offers respectively.

Also if you were to count those who took themselves off the wait list in favour of another school before they were given an offer, it seems as they would have had to go very deep down the wait list.

Those numbers are reported by the schools themselves; these are official data and can be trusted.

I still find it very surprising that the waitlist moves that much. Assuming they over accept initially there still seems to be quite a lot of movement.

Well I think that you have to remember that the reality is that if you are good enough to get an interview at one school then you're probably going to have multiple interviews. With multiple offers there's going to definitely be significant waitlist movement. I'm not saying that everyone has multiple interviews but I do personally believe (no evidence to back it up) that the majority of applicants who reach the interview stage are going to have multiple interviews. I, of course would probably fall into the minority of applicants with only one interview. 

Not Queen's.....maybe closer to 1/4

Not sure if you reference the document, but the following are the stats for Queens:

Offered and registered: 100

Offered and deferred: 7

Offered and declined: 90

That mean's 197 people were offered a spot (altogether: first round, second round, etc.) in the 2014/2015 cycle.

Not sure if you reference the document, but the following are the stats for Queens:

Offered and registered: 100

Offered and deferred: 7

Offered and declined: 90

That mean's 197 people were offered a spot (altogether: first round, second round, etc.) in the 2014/2015 cycle.

I hope that's still the case. I saw those numbers, but I was thinking it was the 2018 class for some reason. I would have expected the 'offered' to be 90 for last year because of QUARMS

I had a question about CanMeds roles and the MMI. I was given advice by some current med students that every answer during my interview should demonstratw CanMeds roles in some aspect. Obviously this is easier during panel interview a where you can tie them in to the open ended questions they ask about you. During MMI though, if we are given specific questions about say an ethical scenario, how do we go about demonstrating the roles. Any tips or thoughts? Any Mac meds who didn't think MacMaster was really searching for the CanMeds roles in your answers?

I had a question about CanMeds roles and the MMI. I was given advice by some current med students that every answer during my interview should demonstratw CanMeds roles in some aspect. Obviously this is easier during panel interview a where you can tie them in to the open ended questions they ask about you. During MMI though, if we are given specific questions about say an ethical scenario, how do we go about demonstrating the roles. Any tips or thoughts? Any Mac meds who didn't think MacMaster was really searching for the CanMeds roles in your answers?

The canmed roles literally cover everything under the sun,chances are by answering the question itself you'll touch upon whatever it is they're looking for if you're doing it right. Just answer honestly and don't try to skew your answer to show what a leader you are (or whatever canmed you think the question is probing), it's pretty obvious when people answer disingenuously.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Leon unpinned this topic

Archived