Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2016

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh interesting. I really thought the trend was that the strongest applicants got invited first. 

It's actually quite a thorough process they use to review applications. They had a great video in the summer about it - I believe it's posted on their site under unsuccessful applicants. 

I'm confused - are MD/PhD interview invites also rolling? Or are they just in one day? I'm really confused :S The reason I ask is because MD/PhD is only on one weekend. So @donnyforMVP your message has confused me!

MD/PhD are also rolling, but it's typically over 1 - 2 weeks.

Any tips on how to best prepare for interviews? Any resources/books you may have used in the past?

Best way for me was to review my ABS and try to figure out which examples I would use to answer your basic interview questions (e.g. what showed leadership, why medicine?... etc.)

Some people opt to read Doing Right, but I didn't find it to be a make or break factor. My answers likely would have been the same with or without it but some people prefer to read it for their own comfort.

Just practice speaking and be yourself. They really just want to get to know you.

U of T's MPI was the most short and straightforward and the least stressful of my med interviews. It was actually a pleasant experience :)

I agree with robclem21. Know yourself and your motivations really well. It also helps to think about how you've demonstrated the CanMeds roles (scholar, leader, advocate, professional, expert, communicator) through your ABS and life experiences. Think about what these roles mean and why they are important in a doctor's career. I didn't read Doing Right and felt fine going into Casper, MMI, panel, and MPI. I did read some of the articles in the Bioethics for Clinicians series (which helped give me a basic foundation in healthcare ethics), the newspaper, and a very short book on the Canadian healthcare system. I overprepped last year and didn't think it helped a ton with my interviews. You don't need to be an expert in healthcare issues and ethics - it's more about how you present and express yourself. Try to really put yourself in the shoes of a doctor/healthcare professional and show empathy wherever possible. Practice so you feel fairly confident and comfortable talking about yourself, your experiences and motivations and tackling any healthcare/social issue with a clear, balanced, and logical approach. Be wary of communication tics, like saying "um", "so", and "like" a lot - instead, take some natural pauses as you speak. You can record yourself or ask a friend to find out what you sound like. Always take some time to think before answering questions (5-20s) and be organized (intro, meat/middle, conclusion) and direct (no rambling/repetition) in your answers. Be polite, smile, thank the interviewer, and have a nice, firm handshake. 

Could someone please post what the email heading for the UofT interview invite might be? Don't want to have a 1/2 heart attack while at work if I see the rejection heading pop up.. lol....

subject was University of Toronto Medicine: Interview Invitations

For those who do not meet the minimum requirement (i.e. the minimum GPA chosen for that year) and do not get a full file review, do they receive their rejection letter on a rolling basis or will they hear soon? 

They usually send all of these out at once early in the process. Around the same time the first round of invites go out.

I asked the admissions office about this and was told that the fist wave of rejections isn't necessarily just those who didn't make it to the full file review.

I was told that the applications are reviewed in batches and accordingly, the decisions (i.e. invited for interview, rejected without full file review and rejected after full file review) are also released in waves. Apparently, all the way through March the rejection waves contain those rejected due to not making it to full file review and those who did but still weren't invited for an interview.

So, just to clarify at this point your file may have been:

A) not reviewed yet at all.

B) reviewed but you were not near the top of the list, so you may get an interview for the next dates

C) Rejected outright (in which case you would have received an email?)

or am I confused?

Don't overthink this.

Bottom Line: If you have not been rejected already you still have a chance. That's all you will ever know in this process.

Archived