Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2016

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, 

Someone asked me in a PM about what the MPI is like, and I thought to share my reply with you other interviewees, who also don't know what to expect: 

The MPI is four stations, with four different interviewers. It's set up pretty much like an MMI, where you rotate through the four stations, spending 10 minutes with each interviewer. In between the stations, you get a 2 minute break. Unlike an MMI, there are no prompts on the doors. Each station is like a mini-interview. You will go inside, introduce yourself, and the interviewer will ask you a set of questions. Do take some time to think before answering the questions! I can't tell you what kind of questions they ask, but as I said in my post, it really helps to know yourself, your motivations, and your skills and experiences (particularly as they relate to the CanMeds roles) and also to have some approach to tackling ethical/healthcare/social issues. There are many different interview questions you can look up online to get in the groove of talking coherently and confidently. The interview is pretty straightforward and goes by fast. It will probably be a fairly pleasant experience for most of you :)

I don't know how they score the interview. I do know that the interview is worth 50% of your total post-interview score (at least, I believe that's what it was last year). 

Other tips:

Have good eye contact and body language (don't slouch, use gestures sparingly and for emphasis)

Be specific when talking about personal experiences (ex. use the STAR method) 

Check out how to improve your MMI guide by TrojanHorse (can be found here on pm101 in the Interviews section and applied to MPI and other interview styles as well)

Don't get hung up on how you did on one station. Clear your head before moving on to the next one! 

Try not to over-anlayze/overthink this whole process, even though it may seem impossible right now. You got an interview - your chances of getting in are very real at this point! 

Feel free to ask any other questions related to the interview or U of T! 

Wondering if anyone who has received an invite for 27th/28th weekend, has received a specific time yet? Worried I did not confirm properly- they said it would come a week post the initial email. 

I don't think anyone has received a specific time yet (I emailed admissions on Monday and they said they hadn't figured out the schedule yet) so I wouldn't worry about it!

did anyone else get an invite email today for march interview dates?

I see that you're the only one who posted about an invite for those dates (March 12/13) yesterday. Probably means that you were the last acceptance in the most recent "batch" of applications they went through and that all the time slots for Feb 27/28th are filled so it defaulted to sending you an invite for 12/13 of March instead?

I see that you're the only one who posted about an invite for those dates (March 12/13) yesterday. Probably means that you were the last acceptance in the most recent "batch" of applications they went through and that all the time slots for Feb 27/28th are filled so it defaulted to sending you an invite for 12/13 of March instead?

Last year they were sending invites for the initial February interviews up until 18 days before, so I would be surprised if all of the spots have been filled already. One person even got an invite 4 days before because of a cancellation.

Anyway we should probably stop discussing here before the mods lay the smackdown on us  ;)

Does that mean we can expect next round of invites to be monday/tuesday? Also, how do you know when the next batch of file reviews were due? :)

I would guess not Monday for sure-if files were due Friday than they would need time to add up scores, sort people into dates, etc. 

Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm just a fellow anxious applicant myself, but if I had to guess I would assume that nothing would be sent as early as Mon/Tues. 

And they're signature says UofT MD, so I'm going to say that's how/why they know this information

TIME STAMP: 09:29 (PST)

Result: Reject

wGPA: didn't qualify. cGPA is 3.86

MCAT: above cut-offs

ECs: Somewhat average

Essays: I had a few people read over them. Applying in Ontario was a bit of a last minute decision though so I didn't put the time in that I may have liked

Year: 4th year UG

Geography : OOP

Was this an email from today?

Archived