Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2016

Seems to be just rejections that came out today. Perhaps invites will get sent tomorrow?

Last year's forum shows that the 2nd batch of regrets was sent out around Feb 10th while the second batch of invites was sent out around Feb 20th. Based on that, I would say that we still have over a week of waiting before the second batch of invites is sent out.

Best of luck!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have any inside knowledge about if the next batch of interviews invites are coming out this week? It'd be nice to know one way or another. This "rolling invite" process makes it really hard to plan.

Guys, you have to stop over-analyzing this. No one knows when the invites are being sent out - even if they did, they can't disclose that information. Just live your life and don't let this process take over it. It's actually pretty great getting an invite when you weren't expecting an email from the school at all. And if you get rejected, well then you move on. 

Guys, you have to stop over-analyzing this. No one knows when the invites are being sent out - even if they did, they can't disclose that information. Just live your life and don't let this process take over it. It's actually pretty great getting an invite when you weren't expecting an email from the school at all. And if you get rejected, well then you move on. 

I'm pretty sure over-analyzing the interview invitation process (and applications in general) is the sole reason that premed 101 exists. :)

Does anyone have any inside knowledge about if the next batch of interviews invites are coming out this week? It'd be nice to know one way or another. This "rolling invite" process makes it really hard to plan.

Ill echo above. Relax. Nobody knows the exact date that invites are coming out on so no point freaking out.

I'm also not sure what is hard to "plan" exactly. Is there something so important that it will get in the way of an interview at UofT? I found out about an interview on just a couple days notice last year (Wednesday phone call before a Saturday interview if I recall?) and had absolutely no problem rearranging my weekend to find a way to "fit" this in.

Ill echo above. Relax. Nobody knows the exact date that invites are coming out on so no point freaking out.

I'm also not sure what is hard to "plan" exactly. Is there something so important that it will get in the way of an interview at UofT? I found out about an interview on just a couple days notice last year (Wednesday phone call before a Saturday interview if I recall?) and had absolutely no problem rearranging my weekend to find a way to "fit" this in.

I'm sorry, but I could not help responding to this. Simply because you were able to rearrange your weekend, given your particular circumstances, it does not mean that someone else will be able to do so. This kind of "if I could do it, then so should you" thinking is very detrimental in that you are completely disregarding the other's circumstances. What if they are away travelling, are caring for a family member and therefore need advanced notice to make alternative arrangements, or have some other sort of condition that necessities that they know well in advance?

I do agree that when the invites are sent out is out of our hands; therefore, maybe we shouldn't be worrying as much. However, I do not agree with the idea that if you were able to accommodate a short notice invite, then everyone else should be able to do the same. I just hope you keep that in mind when you are a doctor, and that you do not resort to placing all the burden of care in the lap of your patients.

All the best!

I'm sorry, but I could not help responding to this. Simply because you were able to rearrange your weekend, given your particular circumstances, it does not mean that someone else will be able to do so. This kind of "if I could do it, then so should you" thinking is very detrimental in that you are completely disregarding the other's circumstances. What if they are away travelling, are caring for a family member and therefore need advanced notice to make alternative arrangements, or have some other sort of condition that necessities that they know well in advance?

I do agree that when the invites are sent out is out of our hands; therefore, maybe we shouldn't be worrying as much. However, I do not agree with the idea that if you were able to accommodate a short notice invite, then everyone else should be able to do the same. I just hope you keep that in mind when you are a doctor, aninfd that you do not resort to placing all the burden of care in the lap of your patients.

All the best!

Look, I get this is stressful but please be considerate. There is no reason to make judgments about what kind of doctor someone would be because they tried to reinforce that there's no reason to stress over dates. The point was reassurance that you don't need 1 months preparation to do well in the interview and be accepted 

Of course not 'everyone' will be able to rearrange everything in a few days 'because they could'. It's equally presumptuous of you to take that so literally.

Deep breaths everyone....

Look, I get this is stressful but please be considerate. There is no reason to make judgments about what kind of doctor someone would be because they tried to reinforce that there's no reason to stress over dates. The point was reassurance that you don't need 1 months preparation to do well in the interview and be accepted 

Of course not 'everyone' will be able to rearrange everything in a few days 'because they could'. It's equally presumptuous of you to take that so literally.

Deep breaths everyone....

Definitely not trying to stir up a fight here. I only asked because members in several other schools' forums seemed to definitely know when invites were coming, not because I'm sitting here freaking out.

Also, I don't want to be presumptuous about anyone's life situation, but yes for some people (including myself) it's not easy to just make plans to go to Toronto on two weeks' notice. I have a job that requires me to work weekends and two kids to look after, so if I don't hear by the end of this week I likely will have to commit to work. However, I realize that U of T doesn't base their interview invitation process on individual situations and that the majority of invitees are probably able to make it on little notice. Everyone here has gone through the same process (or is going through it now) so I'll just have to deal with it. If I can't handle a challenge then maybe I'm pursuing the wrong career.

Definitely not trying to stir up a fight here. I only asked because members in several other schools' forums seemed to definitely know when invites were coming, not because I'm sitting here freaking out.

Also, I don't want to be presumptuous about anyone's life situation, but yes for some people (including myself) it's not easy to just make plans to go to Toronto on two weeks' notice. I have a job that requires me to work weekends and two kids to look after, so if I don't hear by the end of this week I likely will have to commit to work. However, I realize that U of T doesn't base their interview invitation process on individual situations and that the majority of invitees are probably able to make it on little notice. Everyone here has gone through the same process (or is going through it now) so I'll just have to deal with it. If I can't handle a challenge then maybe I'm pursuing the wrong career.

Would it be impossible to re-schedule shifts or arrange childcare working under the assumption you'll have an interview? Then worst case you could cancel.

Given you have interviews at Mac/Ottawa I'm going to say you have a high GPA and thus assuming you might get an interview at UofT wouldn't be an unrealistic option. I mean, you never would know for sure, but if it came down to you attending or not, would it be easier to set up arrangements to have Mar12/13 off and then cancel if needed? 

I do agree that when the invites are sent out is out of our hands; therefore, maybe we shouldn't be worrying as much. However, I do not agree with the idea that if you were able to accommodate a short notice invite, then everyone else should be able to do the same. I just hope you keep that in mind when you are a doctor, and that you do not resort to placing all the burden of care in the lap of your patients.

All the best!

I am not going to get into an argument with you. However, as others have said, this post is equally as presumptuous on your part, and I would have to add unnecessarily dramatic. No need to draw conclusions about my patient care based on my idea that someone who wants to get into medical school should be able to find a way to attend an interview. If you apply to medical school and have done any research into how the process works then it shouldn't come as a surprise to hear that you are ultimately required to "make it work" around the date you are given. There are 1000's of other people that would be grateful for the opportunity to interview at any school.

I am not saying there are not good reasons to be concerned, and those you have listed are certainly valid (minus travel perhaps), but that being said, this is something that should be planned at the onset. While you and everyone else has a right to be stressed at the process (and trust me I've been there), if this is what you want to do then I'm sure there are ways to make it work.

I am not going to get into an argument with you. However, as others have said, this post is equally as presumptuous on your part, and I would have to add unnecessarily dramatic. No need to draw conclusions about my patient care based on my idea that someone who wants to get into medical school should be able to find a way to attend an interview. If you apply to medical school and have done any research into how the process works then it shouldn't come as a surprise to hear that you are ultimately required to "make it work" around the date you are given. There are 1000's of other people that would be grateful for the opportunity to interview at any school.

I am not saying there are not good reasons to be concerned, and those you have listed are certainly valid (minus travel perhaps), but that being said, this is something that should be planned at the onset. While you and everyone else has a right to be stressed at the process (and trust me I've been there), if this is what you want to do then I'm sure there are ways to make it work.

I'm not trying to start an argument, just a discussion. You are right; my post was not all that considerate either, and for that I apologise. You are entitled to your views and so am I. I simply wanted to put forth the idea that we shouldn't expect others to do something simply because we were able to do it. Indeed they may have extenuating circumstances that we can not even imagine.

All the best! 

From my experience last year, U of T was also somewhat flexible in helping me choose an alternative time during the same interview weekend (I had my Ottawa interview the day before my U of T interview, but the school was nice enough to give me a gap day in between the two interviews). That's obviously not guaranteed to every interviewee, but keep in mind that you do have space on the interview acceptance form to state any conflicts and the school will likely accommodate you if it's anything major. 

I'm pretty sure over-analyzing the interview invitation process (and applications in general) is the sole reason that premed 101 exists. :)

Hahaha yeah, I know. Believe me, I did my fair share of over-analyzing last year. It's just that after you get into medical school, you realize how utterly pointless it is to waste brain power and become overly neurotic and anxious trying to figure out this whole process. Enjoy your pre-med life now, because medical school can be very draining. 

Looks like it was short lived? Does that mean this batch is likely over or might there be more going out? Was hoping I'd hear by now.

Looking at last year's interview invite thread it looks like they went out over a period of a few days for the second round. Might hear back by sometime mid next week latest I would guess, but otherwise not until ~3 weeks out from the last interview date or closer to either of the interview dates remaining in the case of a cancellation.

I'm trying not to pay much attention to this, but it is somewhat concerning as I have an interview at Mac on April 10th, so if I were offered an interview at U of T on the same date that would be a mixture of fun and stressful lol.

Back to work and I'll let the chips fall where they may. Good luck to those who have received invites thus far!

Looking at last year's interview invite thread it looks like they went out over a period of a few days for the second round. Might hear back by sometime mid next week latest I would guess, but otherwise not until ~3 weeks out from the last interview date or closer to either of the interview dates remaining in the case of a cancellation.

Well it's good to know they came out over a few days last year... here's hoping some of us receive some good news tomorrow!

Well, you guys are clearly right on this one - it's a pleasant surprise to finally hear from UoT.  I did indeed get an interview for the March 12th weekend. And with enough time to inform work and arrange for weekend babysitting (well, still in progress, but I have options).

Good luck to everyone else that has an interview! I'm sure I'll run into a few of you there.

Archived