Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2016

Well, it seems as though it's likely that 4 out of 5 interview dates have been filled. it's also pretty well known that they hold off on notifying regrets. You'd have to think that chances are that if you haven't heard back yet, you are a likely rejected.

Tough for me because I interviewed last year, got waitlisted and sat on the waitlist all the way until September until I heard regrets, so not sure what happened this time around. Does the strength of the applicant pool change that much from year to year?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it seems as though it's likely that 4 out of 5 interview dates have been filled. it's also pretty well known that they hold off on notifying regrets. You'd have to think that chances are that if you haven't heard back yet, you are a likely rejected.

Tough for me because I interviewed last year, got waitlisted and sat on the waitlist all the way until September until I heard regrets, so not sure what happened this time around. Does the strength of the applicant pool change that much from year to year?

Do we know for sure the March dates are filled? I'm waiting until the second wave of rejections start coming out before assuming they are. People have been called to interview days before the interview in the event a spot opens up so don't give up hope just yet.

They haven't sent out the invites for the April dates yet though, so there is still some hope!

They haven't sent out the invites for the April dates yet though, so there is still some hope!

Definitely agree that there is still hope. I was just pointing out that there is reason (pretty good reason) to have less hope than you would have had in January.

Oh well...hanging in there...

Some MD/PhD offers apparently came out today... 3 days after the interview weekend? That's crazy fast. (Check stats thread).

It's to compete with the American MD/PhD system if you are a highly qualified applicant (and correlate to the other Ontario MD/PhD programs as well). I received my offer the day after I interviewed at UofT. I was also interviewing at all other Ontario schools that same week and a half and I had already interviewed at quite a few American MD/PhD programs and gotten acceptances and UofT doesn't want to lose you to them.

It's to compete with the American MD/PhD system if you are a highly qualified applicant (and correlate to the other Ontario MD/PhD programs as well). I received my offer the day after I interviewed at UofT. I was also interviewing at all other Ontario schools that same week and a half and I had already interviewed at quite a few American MD/PhD programs and gotten acceptances and UofT doesn't want to lose you to them.

Not sure if you can answer this, but is it safe to assume tht people who've already gotten offer are one's who have also interviewed at other cdn/american schools? And those of us who haven't, still have a chance of being accepted to the MD/PhD program? Just wondering if we haven't heard yet, have we been rejected from the MD/PhD program.

Not sure if this has been answered elsewhere, but how does UofT look at applicants post-interview?

Are all candidates selected based simply on interview performance, or does the interview get scored within a composite of GPA, reference letters, essays, etc., and if so what percentage of the total score does the interview make up?

Not sure if this has been answered elsewhere, but how does UofT look at applicants post-interview?

Are all candidates selected based simply on interview performance, or does the interview get scored within a composite of GPA, reference letters, essays, etc., and if so what percentage of the total score does the interview make up?

I believe it was posted elsewhere that it's 50% interview, 50% pre-interview score.

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks for explaining the process :)

Any PhD invites yet? Haven't seen one. I know that U of T commented they generally leave their PhD applicants until later in the cycle.

This must be new because in the past, UofT has done all their MD/Phd interviews in the first batch in february!

Not sure if you can answer this, but is it safe to assume tht people who've already gotten offer are one's who have also interviewed at other cdn/american schools? And those of us who haven't, still have a chance of being accepted to the MD/PhD program? Just wondering if we haven't heard yet, have we been rejected from the MD/PhD program.

I contacted admissions about this and they said that the offers that were sent out are not necessarily related to ranking and that students who have not yet received an offer are "no less valuable to the program". Hope that eases your worries!

Definitely looking forward to meeting some of you interviewees at the upcoming interview dates! :)

Again... MAM tours... Make it happen :)

disclaimer: this in no way affects anything else related to the interview. MAM is just awesome...

Any news?

Last Thursday was the most recent wave for April, maybe one or 2 people will get an email for this weekend if someone cancels, I am guessing next week or week after for one more wave. MAYBE early April for last invite and remaining rejections, speculation though.

Archived