Premed 101 Forums

Queens Interview Discussion 2016

This is a follow up to my initial advice to call the Queen's admission staff. 

It appears they have now resent the invite (and rejection?) emails. I received a new invite at 7:35pm today (February 2, 2016) that had the following forward included:

On Friday January 29th the following email was sent to you. Unfortunately due to the volume of emails that were sent at one time the .queensu.ca mail server was blacklist and a number of emails were not received by our candidates. Please accept our most sincere apologies that this has been delayed in getting to you. "

I'm not sure if they were planning to resend these invites or if they received too many calls. Either way it looks like everything has been addressed.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if this was previously mentioned, but does anyone know how queen's takes into account your GPA/MCAT/ABS after your interview? Or is the success of an application at that stage solely determined by the interview? Any input would be great!

All I know for sure is that your academic qualities (GPA and MCAT) are not assessed post interview. This was specified on the Queen's website. As for interview and ABS weighting, I don't think anyone is truly aware of how they weight these two aspects.  

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know how many stations there are going to be for this year's interview?

Should be explained in the email which they have yet to send us. We should be receiving it prior to the first interview weekend. I believe someone mentioned that last year they sent it around March 4th. 

Hey everyone, so I've compiled all of the invites from the Queens 2016 invite thread into an excel sheet and just had a look at minimums for different groups. Anyone interested in seeing what came up? And yes I am that bored lol.

That'd be cool to see, and would probably help applicants for next year. I'd guess that they take your top 3 sections (which explains why some people with low CARS got interviews).

Not sure but I just looked at minimum values. Anyway here's the link. Have a look and let me know what you think.

Edit:

New stats and values have been updated! 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxz0j-2f_P4mTkxGWlJRdUZPU0E/view?usp=sharing

Looking at the stats, I know I am one of the lowest in terms of marks. I also know people with graduate degrees who had higher marks but didn't get interviews. Further complicating matters, for those advanced degrees OMSAS doesn't take your graduate marks. I'm glad (and lucky) that Queens was able to look at applications holistically, and if you did well in graduate school that can show that you have made progress in your education. 

I guess I'm saying, marks are important but they aren't everything.

Ps. Thanks for putting this together, it was interesting. While there a small n-value and likely posting bias for people with higher marks, it is still good to see.

Should be explained in the email which they have yet to send us. We should be receiving it prior to the first interview weekend. I believe someone mentioned that last year they sent it around March 4th. 

Thanks.  Got them this morning.

^^ did they change the format of the interview? I heard it was 8 mins with bell going off at the 2min period. Maybe I'm wrong. Can anyone comment?

Not sure if I can comment but I'll say that the format is not 8 min talking time. If it was in the past then yes they did change it. 

Not sure if I can comment but I'll say that the format is not 8 min talking time. If it was in the past then yes they did change it. 

Yeah I understand where you are coming from. Wasn't 8 mins in the past with 2/3 min warning time. They said it's 7 min this year and warning at 6min point. It looks like they changed it right?

Those are some frightening stats. 

Very much so....

Now that the interview is over I'm a bit discouraged because I really loved the school and even maybe Kingston, but with numbers like that I'm trying to convince myself I didn't lol

Very much so....

Now that the interview is over I'm a bit discouraged because I really loved the school and even maybe Kingston, but with numbers like that I'm trying to convince myself I didn't lol

To be honest I'd rather be in your position right now (having finished the interview). There's so much time until the next interview weekend and I have no idea what to do with my time lol

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived