• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rejection 
Date Stamp: 10:54 AM
Stream: English
wGPA: 3.86 
Current year: 4th year UG

CASPER: Didn't feel the best about it and no one knows exactly how it contributed to their decision for interviews

Wasn't expecting much out of Ottawa with my GPA so I'm not really surprised. Good luck to everyone heading out there for interviews!

INVITE! :P 
Date Stamp: 28/01/2016 - 10:00 AM
wGPA: 4.0
Current year: UG complete 
ECs: My activities were all (1) long-term + (2) diverse 

CASPer: I erred on the side of caution by focusing on 'quality > quantity.' 

INVITE
Date Stamp: 28/01/2016 - 10:00 AM
wGPA: 3.97
Current year: 3rd year UG
ECs: Long-term volunteering/ECs in sports 

CASPer: Thought I shat the bed

Surprising to have gotten an invite since I had no previous research experience - for my top 3 uOttawa research activities, I couldn't even choose one. 

INVITE
Date Stamp: 28/01/2016 - 10:01 AM
wGPA: 3.96

Current year: UG completed in June 2015 
ECs: Long term- EMPLOYMENT: RA with a HNT surgeon, and other part-time jobs during UG  

EC's: Fundraising coordinator for newcomers, soccer player, president of a club

Volunteer: Hospital elder life program, soccer coach

Research: Paper meant to be submitted for publication but hadn't been done so at the time of application (wrote on application not yet submitted) 

Awards: Academic and volunteer achievement 

CASPer: Felt OKAY afterwards. I couldn't even remember my answers since it went by so fast, but I guess it turned out well. 

INVITE  :lol: 

Date stamp: 28/01/16 @ 9:51am

Stream: French

wGPA: 3.84

Current year: 4th year of UG

EC's: Long term volunteer commitments, research volunteer, lots of employment throughout undergrad, ECs in sports. No publications.

CASPer: Felt okay, exam glitched often which threw me off.

Regrets

Date Stamp: January 28th 2016 @ 10:56am

Stream: English

wGPA: 3.88

Current year: 4th year UG

EC's: Varied, but average. Weak research section.

CASPer: I thought it went okay but not well.

I was expecting this given my GPA and not overly impressive ECs.

Invite

Date Stamp: 28/01/2016 - 10:07 AM

wGPA: 3.94

Current year: Graduated

ECs: I was really surprised that I got an interview. I did not feel that my ECs were that strong. Pleasant surprise. I believe my CASPer may have been the difference-maker for this invite.

Rejected

wGPA: 3.85

Current year: Non-traditional applicant/ working

ECs: Teaching assistant for several courses, lab experience/ thesis, non-traditional application overall- have been working in healthcare administration/ management for several years.

Casper: Who knows but I did get an interview at Mac so I'm assuming not too bad.

Rejected
GPA: 3.957
Current year: 3rd UG
ECs: Founder of a drama team, president of a research club, volunteer in hospitals, research assistant, completed a physician observership program, tutor, awards in directing/acting...etc
CASper: I thought it went well, but am not sure now

I guess I just have to hope for a better luck next year!! Congrats and good luck to those who made it

Regrets (but will contact you etc)

Time Stamp: Jan 28/16 @ 1056hrs

wGPA: possibly 3.87? Not sure how they calculated it due to my pass/fail courses (thanks nursing..)

Current Year: completed UG a few years ago, working as an RN now

EC's: Had top 3 filled for each section - working in emergency psychiatry, child/adolescent psychiatry and worked as a receptionist during undergrad; rape crisis counselling, volunteered feeding elderly patients with aphasia and conducting 1:1 visits with them, student mentor for nursing and created a survival guide for them; was an associate delegate for the canadian nursing students' association representing my school at a provincial and national level; liaised with Bell Let's Talk to create a nation-wide campaign for mental health awareness with schools across Canada and most recently with my work place; regional level soccer player and won MVP for that; valedictorian at my nursing pinning ceremony; numerous guest speaking gigs including keynote speaker at a mental health summit and the alumni speaker at a nursing professionalism ceremony.. research experience in emergency psychiatry; 2 abstract pubs / poster presentations... I've done a lot. 

CASPER: I honestly thought it went really well, but I also wrote on the day when the system crashed so who knows. 

I'm not surprised TBH, my wGPA wasn't over 3.9. Onto the next! 

Invite

Date Stamp: 28/01/2016 - 10:01 AM

wGPA: 3.99
Current year: UG complete
ECs: Soccer coach and convenor, volunteer at nursing home and in kindergarden class, taught anatomy in cadaver lab, cashier, sales associate, soccer, downhill skiing, dance, dean's scholarships 

CASPER: Thought it went really well despite their website shutting down for 1.5hrs in the middle of my test

Invite :)
Date Stamp: Jan 28, 2016 1:38pm
wGPA: 3.98
Current year: Masters complete, working for past year
ECs: Hospital volunteering (lots of patient contact), student government (relatively small stuff), a few nifty clubs I liked (some health related, others not), research (a couple 2nd author pubs, 2 first authors in the works, no grants or anything), a few awards for academic performance/leadership

The Friendly Ghost (CASPer): I always think I do brutal on these things.  Not an awesome speed typer, and never feel like 5 min is enough to discuss both sides of a complex issue.

I sucked in 1st and 2nd year GPA-wise, did much better in 3rd and 4th, then did a MSc.  Went back to do some more undergrad courses to boost my GPA, graduated and have been working for a year in that field.  Don't give up hope if you were an immature student (like me) when you were 18 - it is possible to overcome :)

• 2 weeks later...

Invite

Date: 28/01/2016

wGPA 3.97

Current Year: 3rd

ECs: Descent, Filled all the spots

Casper: No idea

ps: I have my interview on March 19. Just wondering if anyone will like to swap with March 8, 9 or 10 or even March 4th. Pl. send me a message ASAP or email me at woogle22@yahoo.com. tx.

Hi

I am wonedring if you tell me that the email response from Ottawa with the email that "Vacancies occasionally occur during interview" means there is a chance to be invited sometime after the interview dates?...

Thanks for your response in advance.

Yes but very minimal. Everyone who got a rejection email and met the academic requirements had the same statement.

INVITE

Date Stamp: Feb. 22nd 10am (phone call) (Interview on the 24th!)
wGPA: 3.94
Current year: Degree complete
ECs: Research, lots of leadership rolls, tutoring, peer mentor, etc. 

Casper: Definitely better than last year

I am honestly so stunned. Considering I was rejected from Ottawa a couple weeks ago this came as a crazy surprise. Thank you to whoever decided to cancel their interview! 

YAYYY

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived