Premed 101 Forums

New Written Component, A 30 Min Section That's Part Of The Interview?

Thanks for the link.

Hmm, it will be interesting to see if they share more details about it at the time interview invites are sent out.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, could probably be quite a bit of fun and can be another way to differentiate yourself as an applicant if you're strong in written communication as well.

Hopefully the interview e-mails (or subsequent communications afterwards) will provide some additional information about this new component. Hard to say what the school is looking for or why they've added a writing section based on the information available.

I wouldn't stress about it too much yet. Western's interviews are usually quite relaxed and your chances at acceptance are good once you reach the interview stage. For now, we'll just all cross our fingers that the interview e-mails come soon (and best of luck to all the applicants)!

yes it is :) now what is that for I wonder, and how are they going to actually organize things around it ha.

UBC has a written station that is 30 minutes as well. From a friend who got into UBC, he said it basically seemed to test if you had some basic english writing abilities. He didn't even finish his essay and he got in.

UBC has a written station that is 30 minutes as well. From a friend who got into UBC, he said it basically seemed to test if you had some basic english writing abilities. He didn't even finish his essay and he got in.

queens used to as well. What is odd is all the old WS section was discredited as having any form of use. Now you have these schools adding a new writing section.

Some things rarely seem to make sense in terms of med school admissions.

Yeah, count me in the camp of not understanding this change on its face value, but there are details we're missing at this stage as well as intentions that may not be completely clear to an outsider. There could be a very justifiable reason for this new approach.

There is always some core reason - someone thinks this makes sense. I am always curious about the why. I am sure we will learn more soon.

I don't know, I'm appalled at the lack of professional writing ability some people in medicine seem to have. It may not have been validated on the MCAT, but it's important.

I don't know, I'm appalled at the lack of professional writing ability some people in medicine seem to have. It may not have been validated on the MCAT, but it's important.

I agree.  Despite the high verbal reasoning requirements for my class (well, at least for the Non_Swomen) - still surprised how many people in my class sometimes seem functionally illiterate.  AT least for being in a professional program.  Glad they are bringing in a writing component.

SWOMEN is also much stricter now - you need to do ALL FOUR years of high school in SWO.  This was because of all those Mainland Chinese immigrants taking advantage of the system and sending their kids to live in rooming houses for Grade 11/12 to get SWOMEN status (and then going to Alberta for university to get IP status there too - schools there have also caught on and may thing about stopping it - they already have removed the very lenient IP status that could be gained by a single year of living there). 

For the record, I'm weirdly proud of outlining these issues in an online forum BEFORE the schools reacted. 

I agree.  Despite the high verbal reasoning requirements for my class (well, at least for the Non_Swomen) - still surprised how many people in my class sometimes seem functionally illiterate.  AT least for being in a professional program.  Glad they are bringing in a writing component.

SWOMEN is also much stricter now - you need to do ALL FOUR years of high school in SWO.  This was because of all those Mainland Chinese immigrants taking advantage of the system and sending their kids to live in rooming houses for Grade 11/12 to get SWOMEN status (and then going to Alberta for university to get IP status there too - schools there have also caught on and may thing about stopping it - they already have removed the very lenient IP status that could be gained by a single year of living there). 

For the record, I'm weirdly proud of outlining these issues in an online forum BEFORE the schools reacted. 

Don't you have to be a permanent resident or citizen to apply to UWO or Alberta? 

Archived