Premed 101 Forums

Western Interview Discussion 2016

I definitely choked up at some parts because they asked some pretty intense questions and follow-up questions I've never thought about before and having to think on the spot and answer them is not so clear cut. But afterwards I was thinking that everyone else is in the same position and I thought the interview did a very good job at getting me to be as genuine as possible. Obviously, there is always something everyone forgets to say or a better way to have phrased your answers, but DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT! Put it to the back of your mind because honestly you never really know until May 10th. The interview video was hilarious and overall the interview experience made me feel welcome and special :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone get to talk about any weaknesses? I couldn't find any appropriate moment to talk about it and I hope I didn't come off a arrogant. (Thinking back there was one question that I could've spun into the weakness direction but I totally didn't spot it at the time). 

Did anyone get to talk about any weaknesses? I couldn't find any appropriate moment to talk about it and I hope I didn't come off a arrogant. (Thinking back there was one question that I could've spun into the weakness direction but I totally didn't spot it at the time). 

I don't think I'd purposely talk about my weaknesses unless specifically asked, honestly.

This is why I prefer MMIs.

You don't have to worry about coming off as being arrogant.

You don't have to pick and choose the best experiences.

You don't feel pressured to embellish you accomplishments or its impact on you.

You don't have to scramble to find relevant experiences on the spot.

Just answer the question and showcase your perspectives and values. 

I didn't even get a why medicine/ doctor

I see this as a positive, honestly. To me, that means that you conveyed the answer to that question with your other answers. The interviewers do tend to go off the sheet and ask their own questions at the end, so I'm sure you would have been asked that if it was unclear.

I see this as a positive, honestly. To me, that means that you conveyed the answer to that question with your other answers. The interviewers do tend to go off the sheet and ask their own questions at the end, so I'm sure you would have been asked that if it was unclear.

I seriously hope this is the case because I didn't get asked that question either.

Left the interview feeling pretty good. I wasn't nervous, and I felt like I was just having a conversation with friends. Ended up just talking about random things after the questions with the interviewers.

After some more thought, it was probably because the interviewers were so nice and probably are to everyone else too. Currently alternating between it went okay to I definitely bombed it. May 10th is gonna be a looong wait..

I seriously hope this is the case because I didn't get asked that question either.

Pretty sure thats a rare question. They obviously know most if not all applicants will have a polished, memorized answer to that question so it might seem like it is a low-yield question in terms of what it reveals about an interviewee. 

• 3 weeks later...

They asked me why I wanted to be a doctor, but only because I finished the questions that they had to get through a couple minutes early.

Pretty sure thats a rare question. They obviously know most if not all applicants will have a polished, memorized answer to that question so it might seem like it is a low-yield question in terms of what it reveals about an interviewee. 

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived