Premed 101 Forums

U Of Alberta 2016 Interview Discussion

Flagged /s 

Good luck,

- G

I'm pretty sure last year's video had Frozen in it.. as well as the memorable phrase, "University of Alberta: Better than Cumming!"  :lol:  :lol: .. can't beat that!

I am beginning to think this interactive vs. non-interactive debate isn't applicable to me. There's a chance that the questions we are referring to are different on account of being on different days. I don't even remember my interviewer hesitating to respond to my queries during the question. which I'm sure s/he would've if the station was a non-interactive one. 

A bit off topic, but am I the only one that used ALL the prompt questions on ALL the stations? Would I be flagged for that? :((

No, there is no direct penalty for using prompts. Also, remember that red flags are for inappropriate/rude (e.g. racist or sexist) behavior, not low quality answers. Red flags are also all reviewed by a committee (of reasonable people!) and one can still be accepted into the program after being flagged, if the committee decides the flag is too harsh. 

A bit off topic, but am I the only one that used ALL the prompt questions on ALL the stations? Would I be flagged for that? :((

In some cases, I believe it could be an advantage. The prompt questions are there to guide you in the right direction of a response. In other cases, it could work against you if your main answer was weak. These are pure speculations, however.

You absolutely weren't. I tend to be pretty concise, so ended up using all of the prompts for the majority of the stations (there were 1 or 2 where I had a lot to say, and only got through about half of the prompts). A lot of the times I had already covered what the prompts were asking, but it gave me a chance restate it, or to cover what I had already said in a little bit more detail. As another poster said though, there are no penalties for using the prompts, so unless your original answers are totally inadequate, I don't think it's a bad thing at all. Haha, at least I hope so as at both the U of C and U of A I tended to get through most of the prompts, so if it is a bad thing I'm pretty much screwed :P.

The admissions coordinator mentioned that were no drawbacks to using prompts... In that case, it is probably better to use the prompts (in most cases) as the above mentioned. I am on the opposite side of things. I talked until I turned blue, and hardly used a prompt. With so much variation between applicants it's hard to wager how the prompts might help or hinder you interview. It depends on the interviewer too. If I learned anything from this application cycle, it's to take a more balanced approach. Using at least half the prompts is probably a safe bet.

No worries, that's definitely not a red flag-worthy offense! Also, I wouldn't worry too much about it -- I also had a station where I went through all the prompts because I had finished answering in about 4 minutes. Usually the questions are there to guide you to consider pertinent implications that you may have missed, and to offer you an opportunity to re-examine your initial answer and expand on your ideas. Like others have said, there is no direct penalty for using them, and using them all does not mean your answer was bad!

Best of luck to all of you in May! It would be so great if all of us could get in and have a strong PM101 community at the U of A. :) 

No worries, that's definitely not a red flag-worthy offense! Also, I wouldn't worry too much about it -- I also had a station where I went through all the prompts because I had finished answering in about 4 minutes. Usually the questions are there to guide you to consider pertinent implications that you may have missed, and to offer you an opportunity to re-examine your initial answer and expand on your ideas. Like others have said, there is no direct penalty for using them, and using them all does not mean your answer was bad!

Best of luck to all of you in May! It would be so great if all of us could get in and have a strong PM101 community at the U of A. :) 

[P.S. Did anyone else think the guy in the MMI video singing "What Do You Mean?" was ridiculously good-looking????]

More motivation to go to UofA for you I guess  ;)

[P.S. Did anyone else think the guy in the MMI video singing "What Do You Mean?" was ridiculously good-looking????]

I'll let him know that you are hitting on him............ can't guarantee no red flags ..... 

- G 

• 2 weeks later...

There was something one applicant said today during the afternoon Q & A session that threw me off.

This applicant said that one of the interviewer's told each applicant that they would be giving all of them full marks for one particular station.

The reason was because the interviewer thought that the question was inappropriate and thus invalid.

The interviewer was going to contest the question but in the meantime just gave every applicant on that track full marks for that station.

Is there anyone here who was on that particular track and can comment a little more on what the interviewer said exactly? (Not looking for specifics of the station, just want a better idea of what happened.)

Anyone have any updates on what admissions is planning on doing to fix this problem? 

• 4 years later...