Premed 101 Forums

Interview Attire

NotASerialKiller

The official statement about what to wear is pretty clear, but it surprised me so much that I thought I'd ask my hopefully equally obsessive fellow interviewees here.

This is what they say for men: "For men, a collared shirt (such as a dress shirt or polo shirt) with dress/suit pants or trousers.  Blazers or business jackets are optional.  For all, ties are not necessary; no cargo pants, jeans, or sportswear."

A polo shirt sounds bizarrely underdressed to me for a med school interview, so I'm definitely planning on going with a dress shirt, but I was wondering what people have seen others wear in terms of suit jackets and/or ties.

Yes they say jackets are optional, but I was wondering if it was one of those thing where it's "optional" but 90% of guys wear them so you'll look like a chump if you don't. Also, seriously no ties? I was so sure that every school would expect a full suit and tie that some part of me just can't accept this (though I'd love to avoid both if it's actually true).

Can anyone set my mind at ease by confirming that this is actually what they want, and not some statement that everyone ignores and dresses up anyway?

Also, if anyone is curious about what they say for the ladyfolk: "Suggested dress code for women: a reasonable-length skirt (no mini-skirts) or full-length trousers (no jeans) combined with a top (e.g.: a dress shirt, polo shirt, or sweater set) are considered acceptable. An informal dress with appropriate skirt length is also acceptable."

The official statement about what to wear is pretty clear, but it surprised me so much that I thought I'd ask my hopefully equally obsessive fellow interviewees here.

This is what they say for men: "For men, a collared shirt (such as a dress shirt or polo shirt) with dress/suit pants or trousers.  Blazers or business jackets are optional.  For all, ties are not necessary; no cargo pants, jeans, or sportswear."

A polo shirt sounds bizarrely underdressed to me for a med school interview, so I'm definitely planning on going with a dress shirt, but I was wondering what people have seen others wear in terms of suit jackets and/or ties.

Yes they say jackets are optional, but I was wondering if it was one of those thing where it's "optional" but 90% of guys wear them so you'll look like a chump if you don't. Also, seriously no ties? I was so sure that every school would expect a full suit and tie that some part of me just can't accept this (though I'd love to avoid both if it's actually true).

Can anyone set my mind at ease by confirming that this is actually what they want, and not some statement that everyone ignores and dresses up anyway?

Also, if anyone is curious about what they say for the ladyfolk: "Suggested dress code for women: a reasonable-length skirt (no mini-skirts) or full-length trousers (no jeans) combined with a top (e.g.: a dress shirt, polo shirt, or sweater set) are considered acceptable. An informal dress with appropriate skirt length is also acceptable."

I definitely won't be wearing a tie. But dress pants and shirt yes! Oh and don't forget the shoes too ;)

Personally I'm not comfortable going to something so important in anything but a suit. I interviewed last year and there were a lot of suits but some guys wore like cardigans and casual dress pants. Not sure if any got in but personally I wouldn't wear anything less than a suit. I also don't like the way my suit looks without a tie so I'll be wearing one :).

This polo will do:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XnGI2WZ35_c/TalS61eqlQI/AAAAAAAAAE4/2cXvVAWE3DQ/s1600/polo+2.jpg

just kiddin.

Nobody goes there in a polo shirt, although it's okay nowadays when you're in hospitals. You will most likely feel underdressed if you wear a polo there.

My interview heat was a French one, so I did my interviews with a bunch of Frenchies. Maybe that's why very few guys wore blazers/jackets.

I'd recommend not wearing a tie nor a blazer as a guy. You might have to move. You might sweat. When you sweat and you are wearing something warm, it makes your sweating worse. 

A shirt, pants, and dress shoes would be simple and appropriate.

Two years ago, I'd say around 50-60% of guys wore a suit. I didn't, since I do now wear suits in general and I wouldn't have been comfortable doing so for the interview. I hade a shirt without a tie, with dress pants/shoes. I got in (although I refused the offer).

However, it was for the med-p interview, which may be more casual since the applicants are younger. I don't believe it would make a difference either way. I didn't feel inapropriate at all and I was very at ease. 

I also did my interview in french, but the presentation and everything was mixed with english speaking people. 

Good luck !

A lot of guys were dressed up with suits/ties.

The interviews work in a way where it is not formal, you move around from station to station and roleplay. I recommend getting dressed up but being comfortable in what you're wearing. If you aren't totally comfortable, it might show and/or you may not perform up to your standards. So if you feel as though ties are suffocating, then don't wear one.

why cant you just bring a tie with you...see how you are comfortable? maximum you take it off and stuff it in your boots. 

Girls on the other hand: do we wear pants (tight, loose, 3/4...), skirt, dress,  color? length? jacket/blazer? jewelry? belt? heels? flats? makeup? hair up or down? glasses/contacts? nail polish color? and the list goes on and on :P 

Im kidding! But not really...

either way, be comfortable and sharp. House meets Suits kinda look. 

(sorry for the 2am rant) 

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Do you remember if they had a similar statement last year strongly indicating that you don't have to wear a tie?

The wording was exactly the same last year. In my group, I did not see a single guy NOT wearing a blazer and tie. I don't think it really matters for outcomes, but if it is going to psych you out in any way that you feel "underdressed" then probably just go suit and tie. I actually prefer wearing either a blazer or shirt/tie/sweater, because then I don't have to be constantly retucking in my shirt. 

I did not have to do anything remotely physical for my interview. Sweating was not an issue. Personal experiences may vary.

The only caveat... If you have some old suit that simply doesn't fit properly, but you have perfectly suitable well fitting pants/shirt, then don't wear the suit. You will not look your best in a suit that makes you look like a 12 year old wearing his dad's suit. 

Archived