Premed 101 Forums

Competitive Programs This Year?

Candiens12

Eh, I can get most places that matter by walking. And I pay $5 per year for my hospital parking pass. And for about the rent of a modest 1-bdrm in downtown TO, I have a (downtown) house with an ocean view. And I can buy beer from convenience stores (and the liquor stores are open past 9 regardless...). Of course, this is home: 

Wolfville-02.jpg

My experience was more like... "Hey CrCU? We have this old guy with a GI bleed. On some Levo. Crazy family wants everything done..." Brief assessment and the patient clearly has an SBO and is in failure now thanks to the two units given for his normal Hb... ANYWAY. Basically the story was "confused or unestablished goals of care" and "glaringly incomplete resuscitation". That was only the first time that happened. Interesting always to be involved early in the resuscitation, but I don't think it was especially safe either. 

One nice thing at my centre is that consultants in emerg do not become MRP until the patient actually gets admitted. Not that we refuse consults much if ever, but sometimes will be able to "re-direct" anything that's inappropriate. (Recently an NP called medicine because she couldn't get a hold of the dentist-on-call. For a patient with a dental abscess. I should have just told her to get ready and tie the piece of string to the doorknob and I'd be right down...) 

OP are you from Moncton?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, I can get most places that matter by walking. And I pay $5 per year for my hospital parking pass. And for about the rent of a modest 1-bdrm in downtown TO, I have a (downtown) house with an ocean view. And I can buy beer from convenience stores (and the liquor stores are open past 9 regardless...). 

I really miss Liquor store beer. Nothing is worse than needing a half case of beer at midnight and not being able to get it.

That and everyone outside of Atlantic Canada looks at me funny for hanging out in the kitchen at parties.

Why do people have such a strong preference for cities? Downtown Toronto seems like it's a nightmare to live in.

I think its because S.O.'s are more likely to have jobs in cities, most medical students are from cities to begin with and lastly its easier to be single in the city, more people around. 

And then you have people who want to go to cities for the research, the teaching/pathology etc. 

I think its because S.O.'s are more likely to have jobs in cities, most medical students are from cities to begin with and lastly its easier to be single in the city, more people around. 

And then you have people who want to go to cities for the research, the teaching/pathology etc. 

end destination for many (at least they hope) is also a major city. they are basically living where they hope to end up.

cities have more opportunities for careers, significant others and childrens education. i hope to end up in ac ity.

research/teaching/path make sense seeing as these institutions are intensely downtown focused, but most doctors work in the community (or so I thought?).  SO's make sense (if the partner has a career somewhere), but then the limitation would not be major cities in general, but one particular city.  

I don't feel you need to be downtown in a major city to have access to good education. The best school that I went to (I went to 8 different schools from kindergarten to grade 12) and one that offered me the most opportunity was situated in the outskirts of a city much much smaller than Toronto, though it was still a large enough city of 200 000.  Frankly, I think having large enough playground space and yard space for kids to play in is more important than the school they go to in the early years.  As for there being a lot of people around which makes being single easier, I've found that it's actually easier to meet people in small towns.  People in small towns tend to be friendier and more interested in getting to know you whereas city people (experience mostly in toronto and montreal), are a lot colder. It's a trade-off of being easier to meet people, but having less choices in smaller places vs. endless choice but somehow having a harder time getting your choices to notice you.  

As a person who've lived in rural/remote town, moving to outer rims of some major cities, as well as in downtown core of montreal, I can see some of the attractions of downtown, but it doesn't balance out the disadvantages. Traffic and parking makes owning a car a nightmare, but at least it's compensated by a good public transit.  But that still limits the places you can go by those accessible by public transit.  In the downtown core, there's always light, always noise, always a crowd of people at any of the places I like to go.  It's incredibly dirty, and the salt/gravel we throw on the road doesn't help, with loads of cigarette butts, plastic bags, gum, and the occasional puke, piss and shit. I'm still traumatized after finding someone had taken an explosive diarrheal dump right in front of my door. Maybe I'm just living on the wrong side of town :D  

cities have more opportunities for careers, significant others and childrens education. i hope to end up in ac ity.

For your own career? Depends on what you want. I'd rather eat a bullet than work in an academic practice. It's far easier for me to meet my career goals (which mostly focus on patient care) in a smaller center. From a monetary point of view, a smaller center is generally gonna make you more money than a big city practice (at least in my field).

Significant others opportunities is completely dependent on their career. If you are married to a teacher or nurse, it's easier to land a job in a smaller center. A stock broker, probably not many jobs outside the GTA, Monteal or Toronto.

Children's education: Unless you are working somewhere with a one room school house, the quality of education in Canada in any large town or small city is comparable to what you get in any major city.

• 11 months later...

Why do people have such a strong preference for cities? Downtown Toronto seems like it's a nightmare to live in.

I always wonder this as well! I thinking living in a mid-sized city might not be so bad, but after spending the majority of my life in Toronto, I can't imagine being here for residency as well. The transit system and congestion are horrible and the downtown area particularly feels like a dump to me (it's also super expensive and not aesthetically pleasing) :/

This can be a major factor-  small/mid size can be even preferable for families as mentioned, but not for the single life.  The cost of larger cities can be somewhat disadvantageous though (esp Toronto + Vancouver) - as mentioned.

The more expensive (desirable?) neighbourhoods in very large cities are often close to downtown, but less of gritty urban feel (e.g. Westmount in Montreal, Rosedale in Toronto).  

Archived