Premed 101 Forums

Panel Interview At Schulich, What To Expect/how To Prepare?

Just curious what interviewees can expect from the panel interview at western? I have done MMI's but not panel interviews and I am wondering what kind of questions they generally like to ask (tell me about yourself, why do you want to be a doctor, etc.)?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Of course, they have us sign confidentiality agreements so people aren't really likely to give up specific questions they may have gotten. Questions will differ from applicant to applicant, too!

sure but they may point you in the direction of the CANMed roles - which we as a profession have stated is the key set of skills every doctor ideally would have. Shouldn't surprise anyone if the stated guidelines of our entire profession are fair game at any medical school interview. 

ya I understand they have a confidentiality agreement, I'm asking more about broad categories that they are likely to ask.  For example, is more of a discussion focused around personal type questions (ie tell me about yourself), or do they ask you MMI type questions (ie ethical/policy/etc), or is it a random assortment of everything? 

ya I understand they have a confidentiality agreement, I'm asking more about broad categories that they are likely to ask.  For example, is more of a discussion focused around personal type questions (ie tell me about yourself), or do they ask you MMI type questions (ie ethical/policy/etc), or is it a random assortment of everything? 

It was a mix of both, for me. Super laid back, too; they really didn't try to stress me out.

• 4 weeks later...

Just curious what interviewees can expect from the panel interview at western? I have done MMI's but not panel interviews and I am wondering what kind of questions they generally like to ask (tell me about yourself, why do you want to be a doctor, etc.)?

Any advice is much appreciated!

So the panel will consist of a faculty member (doctor), senior medical student, and a community member. Traditionally the panel interview is known to be relatively enjoyable because there is actually a chance to get to know your interviewers and visa versa. Often there are a variety of questions, some more about you as a person, and some more situational.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived