Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hoote

Uofm Ugme Teaching Methods And Resources

If someone has the time...I have a few quetions regarding the UGME program.

I read the overview of the program and saw that the first year covers the major systems and then pathology within those systems the second year.  I am wondering how this material is presented and specifically what materials and methods are used by the students to learn.  Here are my questions:

First two years

1. From what I see, the material is presented through large group lessons, small group sesssions and individual study.  Is that correct?

2. Are there PDFs or Power Points with the lecture material distributed before hand that one can print or electroncially mark up during class?  

3. Are there mandatory text books? 

4. What materials do most students use to learn the material?

5. How is technology integrated into the learning process? 

6. Are laptops or tablets required?  If not I assume all students use them regardless.  What do they use them for? 

7. Are there any specific apps that one must have / is recommended to have?

8. What is the pace of learning?  Are there breaks in the day when one could study or is it back to back classes each day? 

9. How do those with less experience with the sciences fare? Any suggestions on how they could prepare before the first day of classes?

3rd year Electives

10. How do most students learn during their electives?  Do they acquire a solid resource on that elective and then learn on their own once they are done their elective training for the day?  Or are they given the resources to study from?

I know I am leaning ahead quite a bit.  Just trying to get a good idea of what the future could/hopefully holds.

Thank you!

Hoote

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Recommended yes but not usually mandatory

4) Powerpoint/PDF of notes

5) Notes

6) Yes exams are via computer

7) ExamSoft and TopHat

8) The pace is quick, there are usually classes each day and your day can vary from 9-5 or sometimes it ends earlier it is variable. There are certain classes you have to go to (mandatories)

9) I had minimal bio they do a good job of making sure everyone is on the same page with the first course, you could prob do an anatomy course over the summer if you really wanted to.

No clue for 10 

8. What is the pace of learning?  Are there breaks in the day when one could study or is it back to back classes each day? 

It's pretty quick.  Last year they moved to a new curriculum so it seems like there is a test every week (no joke).  It prevents anyone from falling too far behind but we are definitely beginning to see a little burnout in our class.

10. How do most students learn during their electives?  Do they acquire a solid resource on that elective and then learn on their own once they are done their elective training for the day?  Or are they given the resources to study from?

The best resources to learn from for core / elective rotations are different for each but are typically well-known from the years above you. Usually they include books from the school bookstore (see Case Files: "various specialties", blueprints and others), and book-based (e.g. Lange [author] books) or online question banks such as UWorld (for USMLE exams) that include detailed explanations for right/wrong answers. You can also always go back and look at lectures from previous years if you remember a lecture being particularly good.

There are half-days on Thursday afternoons which function much like class in med 1/2 but with focus on specific issues such as 'What to do if patient presents with 'x' symptom' as well as ethical considerations/issues. Expectations are to attend rotations and study after rotations.

Hope that helps!

8. What is the pace of learning? Are there breaks in the day when one could study or is it back to back classes each day?

It's pretty quick. Last year they moved to a new curriculum so it seems like there is a test every week (no joke). It prevents anyone from falling too far behind but we are definitely beginning to see a little burnout in our class.

What suggestions would you offer for someone just starting? Is there anything they can do to prepare beforehand?