Premed 101 Forums

Post-Interview Waiting Game

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try to keep the mentality of "hope for the best, prepare for the worst". I've been trying not to ruminate over the interview, as the more I think about it the worse I think I did D:

I plan to pick up a new hobby while I wait so I can distract my mind in a constructive way. Plus it might give me something to talk about in next year's interview if things go south. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I wish! But I am guessing it is very unlikely. I say this because the deadline for the current terms transcript is May 11, so I don't see them doing anything early. Although I don't know how (or if) they use the current terms updated GPA in offers for May 18. Regardless, it would be shocking if they did anything early...

Ok so to clarify, they only send out Initial offers on 18 May. All rejected , wait listed and second offers have to wait till 1 June? If the class isn't filled by 1 June, do they continue to send out offers as people decline their offer from MB? At UofC I heard this process can go on till the start of classes. Does his happens at UofM?

That sounds right. The initial offers varies from year to year so no idea how many are truly released on May 18. Everyone else waits till June 1, and as people continue to decline, they'll give spots to people on the waitlist and it goes till classes start basically.

I've heard estimates from 50%-75% of the class hears on the  first offers day but this is hearsay and it varies each year. According to the application information bulletin "The last date of selection from the waiting list is on or about August 26, 2016" and classes start August 23, 2016, so technically you could hear after classes start. The waiting could nearly never stop..... which is how it feels right now haha.

I've heard estimates from 50%-75% of the class hears on the  first offers day but this is hearsay and it varies each year. According to the application information bulletin "The last date of selection from the waiting list is on or about August 26, 2016" and classes start August 23, 2016, so technically you could hear after classes start. The waiting could nearly never stop..... which is how it feels right now haha.

Just wondering where you heard that number of 50% to 75%. I am asking this because it just feels intuitive to send out 110 invites next Wednesday and give them 2 weeks' time to decide and send out those invites that are not accepted on June 1st. just my 2 cents

I thought they waited until June 1st so they have more time to calculate the AGPA of the people still sending in their unofficial transcript (usually there is only 5 days between the due date and the release of results) so they accept the top people for whom the AGPA won't make a significance difference, and then send the rest on June 1st once they know for sure the ranking.

If they were going to send all 110 seats on May 18, I just don't understand why they just don't put more people on the wait list and send the rejection to the others (since I am pretty sure we would all appreciate the earlier release of results).

But this is just my thoughts, I have never been told this from admissions.

Like I said this is just hearsay, but I have heard these rough estimates from current med students. I think its from word of mouth and also by the amount of people that join the incoming classes Facebook page after first offers. By no means are these actual figures so don't obsess about it to much (I know I have, by no means does it help haha). 

I always wondered why the University of Manitoba takes so long to send out letters compared to other universities. There are less applicants than other universities and most individuals that applied go to the University of Manitoba, so the admissions office is able to access their transcripts themselves. I'm sure they could just release all of them on May 18, yet I don't understand why they don't.

Archived