Premed 101 Forums

Post-Interview Waiting Game

Overtime I see a person added to the group, I feel my chances diminishing....

SAME! I know atleast 3 people in that group are Med 2 from what my friend told me, but I also know of 3 people who got in that aren't in the group. I'm just hoping some of the people in the group are in other pools but it's hard to determine that.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya, there is definitely three Med 2 in there since there was three members before the offers were sent!

I have looked at the people in the group and they all seem to be from manitoba... but I don't know how many of them fall into the aboriginal category

If you still know of three people that are still not in the group that got accepted, I am going to assume probably around 75 in province seats are taken :(

If there are 55 people in the group and three are med 2s they might have offered ~70 spots. ~10 of those will be in the Aboriginal pool (No reason they wouldn't offer everyone who qualified), a couple will be OOP, and a few might get in off the wait list somewhere else. Additionally a good chunk of the people that already got ino had high stats going in and did well on the interview. If you think you had a 50% odds of getting in, the majority of the spots that you realistically could get (maybe the last 30) are probably still to be offered.

If there are 55 people in the group and three are med 2s they might have offered ~70 spots. ~10 of those will be in the Aboriginal pool (No reason they wouldn't offer everyone who qualified), a couple will be OOP, and a few might get in off the wait list somewhere else. Additionally a good chunk of the people that already got ino had high stats going in and did well on the interview. If you think you had a 50% odds of getting in, the majority of the spots that you realistically could get (maybe the last 30) are probably still to be offered.

Except that group is continuously growing everyday (on average 4 people day) and since some people don't know about the group or don't have Facebook, that definitely means that the group is not representative of how many people actually got in. 

Only 1 person out of the 3 that I know that accepted has recently joined the group, but now it's at 61 people. I really hope some of them are OOP or in the Aboriginal pool. From a quick glance, I feel 1 person may be in the Aboriginal pool, but it's hard to say.

Only 1 person out of the 3 that I know that accepted has recently joined the group, but now it's at 61 people. I really hope some of them are OOP or in the Aboriginal pool. From a quick glance, I feel 1 person may be in the Aboriginal pool, but it's hard to say.

so definitely more than 40 offers were sent . . . haha so sad!

Also if you look at the stats from last year, it says 2 people deferred their acceptances -- so there's only 108 seats for this year regardless, and am guessing these 2 people are most likely in the group as well. 

I can tell you that there definitely have not been 10 people accepted from the Aboriginal Pool. I know this because I attended an Aboriginal Interview Workshop and met everyone applying into that pool and only very few of them have been accepted. Those who were accepted could very well have been accepted through MB Pool as I know they had very good stats and interview skills.

In terms of myself I was very likely accepted into the Aboriginal because my MCAT put me at an enormous disadvantage in being put through the MB pool even though I believe my interview went very well (but who really knows).

The way it was explained to me is that if you were offered admission on May 18th you could have been accepted through either pool (although if accepted through MB on this date you would have been a pretty strong applicant and thus high on the list). If your accepted on June 1 you were definitely not accepted via Aboriginal Pool. This may be incorrect but judging by the A-Pool's criteria ('offers of admission will be extended to applicants who are recommended to the admissions committee by the FN's, Metis + Inuit Application Pool panel, regardless of composite score or MMI results') it leads me to believe there's no point in waiting till June 1st as nothing will change those applicants results. If the panel does not feel they fit the criteria for that pool or deems them more likely to be accepted into the MB pool they simply transfer them over.

Also if you look at the stats from last year, it says 2 people deferred their acceptances -- so there's only 108 seats for this year regardless, and am guessing these 2 people are most likely in the group as well. 

I believe those who deferred are not included in the number of accepted students. There are just extra students. Don't quote me.

Just out of curiosity medic 77 (or anybody else that knows), do you know if they reserve a certain amount (either minimum or maximum) of seats for aboriginals? Or is it they accept whoever they feel fit the criteria they are looking for?

Also, is all the in province aboriginals applicants offered MMI interviews as well, or only if they are competitive for the regular IP pool?

Is anyone else preparing themselves for the worst? Anyone have any helpful coping strategies?

I think we can all safely assume 65-70 offers were already sent, give or take 5. So ~40 offers will be sent June 1st (mixture of IP, OOP and Aboriginal Pools) . . . such limited seats :(

I read on the forums that waitlisted people also have a strong chance (if you're 1st tier) . . . the waiting never ends!

Just out of curiosity medic 77 (or anybody else that knows), do you know if they reserve a certain amount (either minimum or maximum) of seats for aboriginals? Or is it they accept whoever they feel fit the criteria they are looking for?

Also, is all the in province aboriginals applicants offered MMI interviews as well, or only if they are competitive for the regular IP pool?

I'd have to agree with manmed in that there's no set # but based on the last few years stats they seem to give offers to about 1/3 of the applicants in the pool and about half tend to be from OOP. If I had to guess I'd venture it's because their stats are higher and the criteria actually does take into account MMI + MCAT scores even though they say they don't anymore. Last year the Aboriginal Pool was worded differently in that the composite score for it was made up of something like (10%AGPA + 15%MCAT + 20%References + 5% Autobio + 50%Interview). I'm a firm believer that they still use this model for the most part but just changed the description of it.

Is anyone else preparing themselves for the worst? Anyone have any helpful coping strategies?

I think we can all safely assume 65-70 offers were already sent, give or take 5. So ~40 offers will be sent June 1st (mixture of IP, OOP and Aboriginal Pools) . . . such limited seats :(

I read on the forums that waitlisted people also have a strong chance (if you're 1st tier) . . . the waiting never ends!

In regards to the waitlist, last year way more people got in from the waitlist since 8 people declined in the MB pool while typically there are only 5 people that decline. Hopefully it's a high number that decline this year since they got in elsewhere this year

The deferred students appear to be just extra students. If you look at the Class of 2018 stats, there were 108 enrolled, since 2 people deferred, In the Class of 2019 stats, there were 112 enrolled, since they add the 2 deferrals in, so basically there won't be less seats if what I infer from the stats is correct.

I think the waitlist movement depended greatly on the OOP rejecting their offers. Since they would offer acceptances for 10 OOP but they never actually filled those 10 spots, the remaining spots would go to those waiting on the IP waitlist. 

P.S a difference from 5 to 8 would not make that much of a difference in regards to waitlist movement.

I think the waitlist movement depended greatly on the OOP rejecting their offers. Since they would offer acceptances for 10 OOP but they never actually filled those 10 spots, the remaining spots would go to those waiting on the IP waitlist. 

P.S a difference from 5 to 8 would not make that much of a difference in regards to waitlist movement.

It seems 20+ people get off the waitlist (based on the stats from last year & the year before). 

1.5 days left and this application year is over! Not sure how I should feel. Good luck everyone!

Where did you get those numbers from?

Unless I read the statistics wrong... looking at the 2019 stats, it says "138 offered" and "112 enrolled". We figured out previously the 2 extra people must've deferred... so 26 people got off the waitlist, until all seats were filled. I hope I didn't misunderstand...?! I think UofM is one of those schools that don't over-send offers initially, and only to meet the 110 seats max, and then as people decline, waitlist offers go, correct? 

I'm guessing both IP and OOP are considered in those numbers though..

Ya, that is definitely IP and OOP together!!

I think it is more like 5 (from the IP people that decline) + 5 (from the not filled OOP seats (this will change this year since they are now only initially accepting 5) + 3 (due to the aboriginal pool applicants that decline (since according to the previous post, there are no aboriginal waitlist)) = 13 total IP from waitlist, and I am sure this year will go down to 8 accepted from the waitlist (but initially sending more IP seats)

Ya, that is definitely IP and OOP together!!

I think it is more like 5 (from the IP people that decline) + 5 (from the not filled OOP seats (this will change this year since they are now only initially accepting 5) + 3 (due to the aboriginal pool applicants that decline (since according to the previous post, there are no aboriginal waitlist)) = 13 total IP from waitlist, and I am sure this year will go down to 8 accepted from the waitlist (but initially sending more IP seats)

It says in the stats how many from each pool decline. 

Last year 8 IP decline, 15 OOP and 3 Aboriginal! 

Edit: considering only 5 OOP enrolled... I think 15 of the decline OOP went to IP too, but not 100% sure

Archived